White tail Bristletooth has white spots

keven r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my fish in qt for over 4 weeks and then put him in my main display and after like 2 weeks he started to get this white things.
625C0C41-D71F-4CAB-8956-8C6D50D68F72.png

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my fish in qt for over 4 weeks and then put him in my main display and after like 2 weeks he started to get this white things.
625C0C41-D71F-4CAB-8956-8C6D50D68F72.png

My advice is to turn on white lights and get a better picture. Diagnosing these things properly is extremely critical for proper treatment, so the better the image, the better those in the know can do so.

Multiple pictures from different angles is even better. Helps determine if a dot is something on the fish, or something in the water/on the glass. Give the experts as much information as you possibly can to work with.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see them. when in QT did you follow the copper protocol?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like ICH to me. I'm seeing spots on the fins and body in that pic.
Typically, if you can count the spots, it's probably ICH.

I'd start 30 days of copper treatment.

A freshwater dip may also buy you some extra time while trying to determine what it is or the course of treatment.

better pics under more white lighting may help too.

spotted tang (2).jpg

Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to guess you did not use copper during your QT. This very well may be ich(cryptocaryon). If the fish is also experiencing very rapid breathing, it may be the beginning of velvet. Development of more spots and spots coming and going are other indicators. If the spots were larger and fixed over a period of time, and if you followed the full QT protocol with copper, mucus plugs or lymphocystis would be a possible diagnosis. But it looks more like ich to me.

In either of these cases, you will need to QT all of your fish since the others have now been exposed (or were carriers of the parasites that infected the tang).

The QT protocol below will outline the details. If you use Copper Power or Copper Safe, you should take no longer than 12 hours, I would shoot for 6 hours, to reach maximum concentration of 2.50 ppm. The copper treatment will not be effective until the recommended concentration is achieved.

For these parasites, and at the current stage, I do not believe a dip will bring a quicker solution, so I would forgo the stress that creates for the fish and get the QT started ASAP.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is not as dangerous as something like velvet. Many people practice ich management and have ich in their tanks. My 180g has ich in the tank, and my fish are fine and healthy. I'll occasionally see some scratching or a dot, but it's certainly not in itself something that would kill a fish.

I would not do a freshwater dip, it would likely just add stress. If it's velvet, then that's another story because their gills are probably covered.

OP
OP
K

keven r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see twhen in QT did you follow the copper protocol?
Ich is not as dangerous as something like velvet. Many people practice ich management and have ich in their tanks. My 180g has ich in the tank, and my fish are fine and healthy. I'll occasionally see some scratching or a dot, but it's certainly not in itself something that would kill a fish.

I would not do a freshwater dip, it would likely just add stress. If it's velvet, then that's another story because their gills are probably covered.
I do see the spots coming and leaving and he is eating very good too

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that while I do ich management in my 180g, if I could get all the fish out and QT them and go fallow on it without losing any fish, I would do it in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
K

keven r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would too but I have a firefish that is basically impossible to catch

OP
OP
K

keven r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a royal gramma that is way. My solution has been get some of the green net material at Jo Ann fabrics and cut into pieces that you loosely wrap around rock sections of your tank. I try to do a section when they are distracted eating on the other side. Problem solved!

Back