Whos got a AI Nero 5 Powerhead?

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anti sync is for 2 Nero's.

I changed my settings a while back to those shown in the photo.

Mine sucks air down if I have it close to the surface at a certain angle. Try moving them down a bit.

With one Nero I would probably keep it on random, with 2 pulse periods of pulse mode thought the day. When setup in s certain way (on time and off time set to the lowest setting) the pulse mode acts the same as nutrient transport mode on the vortechs.

Screenshot_20190105_145808_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

Screenshot_20190105_145757_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg
Ok help me out again. Looking at the app and your photo, to me it looks Random Mode from 1am to 1pm at 50 percent, can't see the on/off times. Then, Pulse from 2pm until 645pm at 65 percent then 80 percent until 1am? what are the two little yellow and blue times that are there? Is this correct how I'm reading your settings? Thanks again.

Grahamstyle77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a nero at the end of November. So, been running a little over a month. It's on a 50g, 24x24x20, running it over 60% sends a wave of water out of the tank. I have it capping out around 40%. The first 10 days or so, it was ridiculously loud, as in I could hear it from the next room loud. No matter what I did I heard that pump, but after about the 10th day it went dead silent. I don't hear it at all anymore, guess it just needed to settle in.
I also have an mp10 on the tank and this nero is as silent as the mp10 but pushes so much more water. It's really awesome. I know many people complain about the wire in the tank, but it's a much thinner cord than any other pump I've had, so the cord practically disappears and the outer magnet is obviously way less obtrusive than the outside of an mp10.
Only complaint, and it's a minor nitpick, and only my opinion, but I wish the impeller was black instead of blue. The bright blue catches my eye, if it were black it would be less noticeable. I don't really see why they went with the blue, but like I said, my opinion. Haven't had any issues with the magnet but I've heard a few complaints. My glass is 10mm, and I'm planning an upgrade to a 12mm thick 80 gallon tank. Hopefully it holds as well on that tank. If it does then I will gladly purchase a 2nd.

All in all, 2 thumbs up!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being you guys are discussing the Nero, has anybody used the Reef Octopus Octopulse? They look almost identical to the Nero and are Apex compatible.

I'd love to see a comparison video between the two.

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the Reef Octo 2's. I switched from MP10s. I think they are an upgrade over the MPs from a maintenance and performance standpoint. My MP wet sides needed cleaning almost monthly it seemed like. The would start falling off the tank when they needed cleaning. I have ran the Octo's for 6 months plus without cleaning them. They just chug away. You do have a wire in the tank though. I just ordered a new version Apex and I am thinking I may transition to the WAVs at some point primarily to get rid of the controllers and use the 1 link. At the end of the day, the Octo's are right up there with any of the top of the line pumps.

blesk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it so one ramped up in forward flow while the other ramped down to reverse

received_10156051660528698.jpeg

Hard to say if the Nero would get the same movement as the gyre, I zoomed into my baby torch, not really a direct comparison I know lol

Here's a couple of videos I've just taken of the LPS movement with the Neros.

The pulse mode I have setup is basically wave mode with the minimum on off time possible. I'll set it up tomorrow with an on time of 10 seconds and an off time of 10 seconds in antisync. It would probably match the gyre settings I used more closely

Pulse mode

Random flow

Vhot is the setings you use on Random mode and on pulse

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being you guys are discussing the Nero, has anybody used the Reef Octopus Octopulse? They look almost identical to the Nero and are Apex compatible.

I'd love to see a comparison video between the two.

I looked into the Octopus. It's bigger then the Nero, the wire is much thicker, and it just looks cheap but I know the brand is quality. Also, the controller on the Octo is large, very large. The Nero controller is very small but the flexibility of the Nero app BLOWS the Octo out of the water. This is why I went with the Nero.

Now I guess Nero could make the propeller black, it would blend in better. But when my lights are on it seems the blue disappears. They did blue for a Marketing reasons.

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vhot is the setings you use on Random mode and on pulse

At the moment I run these, have done for a few weeks as I like the movement with the LPS on these settings.

Screenshot_20190106_205926_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

Screenshot_20190106_205930_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

Screenshot_20190106_205939_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

Screenshot_20190106_205951_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

In the video, the pulse mode setting I am running is the 3rd image down. Random mode is set with minimal flow of 45 and max flow of 70 on medium variance

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a nero at the end of November. So, been running a little over a month. It's on a 50g, 24x24x20, running it over 60% sends a wave of water out of the tank. I have it capping out around 40%. The first 10 days or so, it was ridiculously loud, as in I could hear it from the next room loud. No matter what I did I heard that pump, but after about the 10th day it went dead silent. I don't hear it at all anymore, guess it just needed to settle in.
I also have an mp10 on the tank and this nero is as silent as the mp10 but pushes so much more water. It's really awesome. I know many people complain about the wire in the tank, but it's a much thinner cord than any other pump I've had, so the cord practically disappears and the outer magnet is obviously way less obtrusive than the outside of an mp10.
Only complaint, and it's a minor nitpick, and only my opinion, but I wish the impeller was black instead of blue. The bright blue catches my eye, if it were black it would be less noticeable. I don't really see why they went with the blue, but like I said, my opinion. Haven't had any issues with the magnet but I've heard a few complaints. My glass is 10mm, and I'm planning an upgrade to a 12mm thick 80 gallon tank. Hopefully it holds as well on that tank. If it does then I will gladly purchase a 2nd.

All in all, 2 thumbs up!
mine is a little quieter today but still occasionally pushing air bubbles. i agree about the blue wish it was black

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment I run these, have done for a few weeks as I like the movement with the LPS on these settings.

Screenshot_20190106_205926_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

Screenshot_20190106_205930_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

Screenshot_20190106_205939_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

Screenshot_20190106_205951_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

In the video, the pulse mode setting I am running is the 3rd image down. Random mode is set with minimal flow of 45 and max flow of 70 on medium variance
the photo for random says 25%/50% and Low variance though? And what happens between 1pm and 2pm?

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my night settings, the video you quoted was running the settings I typed :).

The photos are what I am running now

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my night settings, the video you quoted was running the settings I typed :).

The photos are what I am running now
haha i'm so confused...but no I quoted what you wrote under your pix for your random settings...and I"m copying your photos..but what happens between 1pm and 2pm? Am I stalking you? LOL

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha i'm so confused...but no I quoted what you wrote under your pix for your random settings...and I"m copying your photos..but what happens between 1pm and 2pm? Am I stalking you? LOL

Lol, nothing too exciting happens,

I increased the power of random for an hour before the pulse started. I think I was just playing around with it and ended up leaving it there.

Screenshot_20190106_225526_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, nothing too exciting happens,

I increased the power of random for an hour before the pulse started. I think I was just playing around with it and ended up leaving it there.

Screenshot_20190106_225526_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg
Hey man. I just bought another Nero 5 for my 120 gallon. Wondering if you are still using the above settings? Also, I made one the child to copy the parent, but what do I set the ''phase" at for the child for anti-sync? THANKS!

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man. I just bought another Nero 5 for my 120 gallon. Wondering if you are still using the above settings? Also, I made one the child to copy the parent, but what do I set the ''phase" at for the child for anti-sync? THANKS!
Hey,

Yes still using same settings, antisync is 180

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody had problems with the Nero's controller? I've never seen it in person, but it looks kinda cheap. I mean I guess it wouldn't be a factor being I use AI lights anyways, so wouldn't need the controller.

Is it just local wifi, or cloud also, like the lights?

Oh, and btw, I think the Octo Pulse uses the same controller as all of RO's return pumps and skimmers (that cream colored one). They all have the same buttons.

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody had problems with the Nero's controller? I've never seen it in person, but it looks kinda cheap. I mean I guess it wouldn't be a factor being I use AI lights anyways, so wouldn't need the controller.

Is it just local wifi, or cloud also, like the lights?

Oh, and btw, I think the Octo Pulse uses the same controller as all of RO's return pumps and skimmers (that cream colored one). They all have the same buttons.

The controller is very basic, to be honest I have never used it.

It connects to the my AI app via Bluetooth and shows up as a local device

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller is very basic, to be honest I have never used it.

It connects to the my AI app via Bluetooth and shows up as a local device

Are you able to control the Nero when away from home? Does it have a wifi option built-in, or just strictly Bluetooth?

The AI lights are able to be controlled away from home via AI's cloud service through wifi obviously. Was wondering is it's possible with the Nero as well somehow.

I am always trying to conserve battety life on my phone. I leave cellular data, wifi, gps, and Bluetooth all off unless I need them when home. And because I usually use the "My AI" cloud access through the app for the lights, so I don't have to repeatedly reconnect directly to the lights, I wanted to see if that's possible with the pump. Or is it just a local Bluetooth connection all the time?

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pumps are local (bluetooth) only.

But to be honest once you have them setup and programmed how you want, you don't really need to access them again and can turn the Bluetooth off on your phone.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back