Why are my anemones so small?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a week and the anemone is still small but has not fallen off the rocks in 2 weeks. My gsp however really likes the low light. I think that my anemone could be bleached because of how clear and dull its tentacles are. Any idea how to help a bleached anemone?
Good parameters and lighting mixed with time.

OP
OP
Midasblen

Midasblen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while and the anemone has not fallen off the rock but is still the same in size and tentacle size. Did a water test here are the results:
Alkalinity: 9.9

Calcium:500

Magnesium: 1500+

Nitrate:10-20

Phosphate:0.25-0.5

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I have tried everything and it’s still so small
Unless taking weekly photos you won't notice the difference. They don't grow over night.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May take a month or 2 before you actually notice the increase.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the anemone has not fallen off the rock
Thats a great start, it means your on the right track. Dont be afraid to drop intensity a little more. You N and P are higher then I have ever seen, doesnt matter as much for nems but since they feed on light, mine do great with super clean water. Remember they dont fall off, they purposely let go to get away from the bright intensity. Mine stayed stayed super small for years when I had lights to high, now they are coloring up and reaching for light and many are splitting and many are getting larger not all. But they look happy as a nem can look. I upped my intensity to 10% B and 5% W for a 120W fixture. B for 8 hours and W for 6

OP
OP
Midasblen

Midasblen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a great start, it means your on the right track. Dont be afraid to drop intensity a little more. You N and P are higher then I have ever seen, doesnt matter as much for nems but since they feed on light, mine do great with super clean water. Remember they dont fall off, they purposely let go to get away from the bright intensity. Mine stayed stayed super small for years when I had lights to high, now they are coloring up and reaching for light and many are splitting and many are getting larger not all. But they look happy as a nem can look. I upped my intensity to 10% B and 5% W for a 120W fixture. B for 8 hours and W for 6
ok I will try lowering the lights. Should I try and lower nitrates and phosphates?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I will try lowering the lights. Should I try and lower nitrates and phosphates?
Yes I would. They love clean water. And you can always raise intensity if needed. since this thread started mine have almost doubled in size lowering intensity and keeping water as clean as can be.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210822_205356.jpg

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are a few of 130 or so, that are loving low light levels with super clean water. Ive had terrible water in the past and mediocre parameters, but they have never looked happier. im currently doing 100G water changes a month on a 300G system. if you live close enough ill give you a few as you get this nailed down.

OP
OP
Midasblen

Midasblen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, guys I know it's been a while, but my anemone has still not changed in size. After looking back at the pictures from earlier the anemone has seemed to have lost its rainbow color, the color it has no is bright pink. It has not fallen off the rock in a very long time. It constantly is moving around my tank but not growing anywhere near the size it used to be. I have kept the water quality good and have been doing water changes every two weeks, I turned my lights down a bit, and I have good flow. Anything else I can do? Because of the time that has gone by I am thinking about getting another anemone due to the fact that mine is not changing in size.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure to feed it if its still light looking / bleached. Typical fish food or something like fuel / reef energy would be my choice).

OP
OP
Midasblen

Midasblen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure to feed it if its still light looking / bleached. Typical fish food or something like fuel / reef energy would be my choice).
I have tried several times in the past and it does not grab and eat the food. But I can try again tomorrow.

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had something similar happen to mine as well. My rainbow BTA was literally the size of a football in my fluval 13.5 tank...it took up almost the entire tank until it split one day after I added more sand into the system. The two anemones have been pretty small ever since with small tentacles. I've increased my feeding and day by day they're getting bigger again, but it's a slow process. I think as long as you keep up the good water quality and nutrition, they'll bounce back.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about getting another anemone due to the fact that mine is not changing in size.
If you failed this one, there is no reason to think you wont fail the next one. Your giving up on the nem, it isnt giving up

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case with shrinking anemones , I dosed cipro to my display and it stopped them and they started recovering and actively searching for light , you can look at my thread broadcast cipro dosing. Before and after pictures same nem. It is since split and both are doing well

Attachments

• A6600E3B-7DCD-4E70-B0AF-15D0415E31C7.jpeg
    A6600E3B-7DCD-4E70-B0AF-15D0415E31C7.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 21
  • D0E0D01D-B431-43F5-BCED-0D9534C10BCC.jpeg
    D0E0D01D-B431-43F5-BCED-0D9534C10BCC.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 24

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back