Why can't I keep Montipora & Acropora?

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve actually begun to have success with all SPS recently. Honestly I increased my flow a good bit and made it more “random” by using different pumps and varying strengths. Ever since that and sticking to my monthly water change schedule I’ve had success.

after Seeing the encrusted do well, I introduced some acropora and have seen success there too.
How old was your tank when you were having problems?

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is almost 2 years but I started with dry marco rock. I just set up my Apex for the first time 4 days ago. I have noticed the salinity is reading 35.3-35.8 even though my hanna salinity tester is giving me a stable 1.026. I have a Tunze ATO. I also started mapping out PAR in the tank and so far the highest I am getting with the Apex is 150-170 on the rocks and 125 on the sand.

ct_purley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is almost 2 years but I started with dry marco rock. I just set up my Apex for the first time 4 days ago. I have noticed the salinity is reading 35.3-35.8 even though my hanna salinity tester is giving me a stable 1.026. I have a Tunze ATO. I also started mapping out PAR in the tank and so far the highest I am getting with the Apex is 150-170 on the rocks and 125 on the sand.
Remember that your salinity will change slightly as temp goes up and go....you can map that with the apex then apply the TC value when you recalibrate your salinity probe

muffinmanXL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is lighting as well, maybe stronger or longer light schedule

Do you have any softies? Leathers? If so, potentially, coral warfare and some activated carbon could be an easy solution

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is lighting as well, maybe stronger or longer light schedule

Do you have any softies? Leathers? If so, potentially, coral warfare and some activated carbon could be an easy solution
I have had a couple of ricordia mushrooms. One just disappeared recently. No leathers. A few LPS...torches, blastos. Anyways I started activated carbon about 3 weeks ago and haven't noticed any change.

I am looking into the lighting after I am done par testing the whole tank

mikedrumm22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen it said a couple times but I think the whole "one day things just snap into place and work" is a weird but true mantra to go by. I literally didn't do anything drastically different and saw a huge increase in success, the additional flow certainly helped me along but I think the maturity of my tank just hit the right spot to support some more complex corals.

I'm planning a new build here over the next few months and plan on running the systems side by side for a while to build up some good biodiversity before moving corals / rocks from my current tank. Taking all the lessons I've learned about flow, managing major elements, filtration, etc. and applying them to my new tank.
This “mantra” in my opinion is just stability. Keep yo hands, chemicals, etc out the tank, and **** will just go. These animals don’t “want” to die; they just need sufficient flow, light, and nutrients. If you can provide that you good!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back