Why cant u keep sps?

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh crap u miss the 25% off sale over the black friday. Zeovit have 2 big sale 1 in November and 1 in july both 25% off
Should have started this thread earlier. Would have saved a lot of us money. :)

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do we need Zeostart 3 to provide food for Zeobak?
Yes zeobak n zeostart3 are bacteria and food combo. U need to use both. If u want more detail look here

cvicente

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taken for Dr. Forest Rohwer website:
The Coral Holobiont
Reef
Corals are host to a wide diversity of organisms, including endosymbiotic algae, protists, fungi, Bacteria, Archaea, and viruses. Together, these organisms make up the coral holobiont. In our lab, we are interested in understanding the physiological roles of these players in their interaction with the coral animal, and how this relates to coral reef health. Incidences of coral death and disease are highly correlated with human impact, and we propose that anthropogenic stresses induce microbes normally associated with the coral to become opportunistic pathogens. Alternatively, opportunistic or specific pathogens from the water column might attack the weakened coral. To differentiate between these possibilities, my lab has had to determine if healthy corals have characteristic microbiotas. To do this, we have employed a variety of techniques ranging from electron microscopy (e.g., Johnston and Rohwer 2007) to metagenomics (e.g., Wegley et al. 2007).
In order to look at the diversity and specificity of coral microbes, our lab used high-throughput sequencing of bacterial 16S rDNAs associated with three coral species. This culture-independent study of coral-associated Bacteria found 430 (mostly novel) bacterial species in 14 samples from 3 coral species. The coral-associated microbial communities were ecologically structured: different coral species had different bacterial communities, even when physically adjacent, while bacterial communities from the same coral species separated by time (~1 year) or space (3000 km) were similar. We also found that some bacterial species were present only in a subset of spatial niches within individual coral colonies (Rohwer, et al., 2002).
Reef
In order to look at the function of microbes on corals, we use metagenomic sequencing (454 Life Sciences) to identify the microbes and their functional genes. Our work found that bacteria associated with corals are primarily heterotrophic. Our metagenomic data showed an abundance of sugar and protein utilization and uptake pathways in the microbial community. These microbes are likely utilizing the complex polysaccharides and peptides from the coral mucus. Several types of cyanobacteria were also found associated with the coral, and may be providing fixed carbon and nitrogen to the coral. In addition, an abundance of fungi were associated with corals, including those involved in nitrogen cycling, indicating that fungi may be fixing nitrogen and making it available to members of the coral holobiont (Wegley et al. 2007).
We have also looked at the viruses associated with healthy and bleaching corals, and find viruses with a wide variety of hosts including many of the various members of the coral holobiont. These viruses include plant and algal viruses, herpes-like viruses, and cyano- and vibriophage, to name a few (Wegley et al. 2007, Marhaver et al. 2008). Due to the abundance of viruses and the wide variety of host ranges they possess, we expect that they play an important role in coral health and structuring of the coral holobiont.
In summary, the associations of the coral animal, prokaryotes, zooxanthellae, viruses, fungi, and other undefined components will define the niche that any coral colony occupies on a reef. This system is almost certainly exemplary of many other interactions between microbes and their higher eukaryotic hosts, and our studies will make predictions that can/will be tested in other complex host-microbial flora systems.

PlasmaBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was some one on here mentioning they had no live rock or fish, just a skimmer. They added pho’s and nitrate to meet coral consumption, don’t think there’s much bacteria in operation there. Would be interesting to know.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was some one on here mentioning they had no live rock or fish, just a skimmer. They added pho’s and nitrate to meet coral consumption, don’t think there’s much bacteria in operation there. Would be interesting to know.
I don’t think anyone said that. There was someone who used ceramic media and no live rock.

on a different note....
there’s a thread some guy claims he’ll start a tank with no fish but will dose aminos and roids. And on another thread some guy claims he and “his buddy” run “awesome” sps packed tanks with zero NO3 or PO4 and have jammed packed colonies (probably easy garbage sps from what I gather), but produces no evidence.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I tend to agree with you, I'm going to play the devils advocate here.....

What makes you think it's a lack of bacteria? We have no way to test for this, other then anecdotal evidence from experienced reefers. But you have other people who throw SPS in a dead dry rock tank and they thrive(not too many do this, but well known experienced reefers have done it without issue).

I hoenstly think it comes down to just plain old experience and how to recognize an issue before it becomes an actual issue.

I have suggested that BRS do an investigation on this. We could get some solid results and either debunk this theory or give it some serious merit..

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If u look at zeobak bottle u will see that zeovit has been dosing bacteria since 2001 thats when they start introducing zeovit to reefing community. BMC is a term for scientists to describe the beneficial microorganisms for corals which is food for sps.
FE426953-C208-4BA2-983F-137491C5AF9D.jpeg

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes zeobak n zeostart3 are bacteria and food combo. U need to use both. If u want more detail look here

Zeostart looks to be a cycling product for an uncycled tank.

I just ordered some Zeobak and Zeofood to give this a try.

I expect my corals to look, under daylight, like they do under blues... ;-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zeostart looks to be a cycling product for an uncycled tank.

I just ordered some Zeobak and Zeofood to give this a try.
Just dose 50% of what they recommend for 3 months then add 10% each month after until u reach full dose. Keep observing your tank to add or decrease dosage since every tank react differently. If u see white film or cloudy water thats indicate too much. Normally after 6 months u will see some changes in your tank.

shookONES

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Incredible thread and doubly appropriate for someone like me who’s just started his first reef tank. I opted for dry rock and dry sand. I decided to use Microbacter7 to get me through the initial cycle, but I can’t help but wonder if my system would benefit from the introduction of several different bottles bacteria?

I plan on running out the 500ml bottle of MB7 with appropriate daily doses. Would I be doing any harm by switching to a different product (ie Dr Tim’s, BioSpira, Zeo) a week or two after I run out of MB7?

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic actually got me thinking...The last few years, I’ve struggled with sps corals. I’ve found many things to blame, but I eventually wind up with failure again. It’s always the same thing: Frags start to color up, encrust, then the growth just stops. Over the next few weeks, they lose their PE and color. Eventually they stn and that’s it.

When I first started out, my sps were much more successful. I started out with live rock from the ocean also, which wound up being replaced by much nicer, cycled, rock from my lfs. This pre cycled rock that I’ve been running the last two years may have started as dry rock, and be deficient in bacterial diversity.

We’ll see if I still have problems with my current go at sps...They are coloring up and I see the bases encrusting...

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Incredible thread and doubly appropriate for someone like me who’s just started his first reef tank. I opted for dry rock and dry sand. I decided to use Microbacter7 to get me through the initial cycle, but I can’t help but wonder if my system would benefit from the introduction of several different bottles bacteria?

I plan on running out the 500ml bottle of MB7 with appropriate daily doses. Would I be doing any harm by switching to a different product (ie Dr Tim’s, BioSpira, Zeo) a week or two after I run out of MB7?
Microbacter has a different set of bacteria. It design to accelerate the nitrogen cycle which is amonia to nitrite to nitrate. Other strain of bacteria source are different therefore there is no harm. U can finish your cycle then u can add the different strain of bacteria

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you said to use both Zeobak and ZeoStart3. i plan to add this to new marine pure bioballs in a system up for little less than 2 years. would i still need zeostart3?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you said to use both Zeobak and ZeoStart3. i plan to add this to new marine pure bioballs in a system up for little less than 2 years. would i still need zeostart3?
Zeostart3 has bacteria to reduce phosphate and nitrate. It works together with zeobak to build up your multi strain. Your corals consume bacteria as food so u still need to replenish them

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeostart3 has bacteria to reduce phosphate and nitrate. It works together with zeobak to build up your multi strain. Your corals consume bacteria as food so u still need to replenish them

Dern. I ordered the Zeofood instead of the ZeoStart3.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can tell you of my experience using MB7 and EcoBalance together: I think I was overdoing it as I was dosing MB7 and EcoBalance weekly and then ended up with some cyano. I think the strains in each bottle maybe outcompeted each other and allowed cyano to thrive. Ever since I did a chemiclean treatment and dosed less of just one type, it hasn't come back; so far MB7 works as I only add a maintenance dose, but if I decide to add EcoBalance again, it'll be after MB7 is done. I only had the issues when the two were in combination (maybe whatever is in the bottle is a carbon source too?)

shookONES

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can tell you of my experience using MB7 and EcoBalance together: I think I was overdoing it as I was dosing MB7 and EcoBalance weekly and then ended up with some cyano. I think the strains in each bottle maybe outcompeted each other and allowed cyano to thrive. Ever since I did a chemiclean treatment and dosed less of just one type, it hasn't come back; so far MB7 works as I only add a maintenance dose, but if I decide to add EcoBalance again, it'll be after MB7 is done. I only had the issues when the two were in combination (maybe whatever is in the bottle is a carbon source too?)

my thoughts exactly. My plan is to finish MB7, wait a week or two, then introduce another bacteria source. As of now I’m leaning towards Bio Spira or Dr Tim’s. At that point I’d wait another few weeks before adding some rubble rock from a successful and seasoned reef tank. Hopefully that gives me a fair amount of bacterial diversity to get started.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my thoughts exactly. My plan is to finish MB7, wait a week or two, then introduce another bacteria source. As of now I’m leaning towards Bio Spira or Dr Tim’s. At that point I’d wait another few weeks before adding some rubble rock from a successful and seasoned reef tank. Hopefully that gives me a fair amount of bacterial diversity to get started.
I'd use ecobalance if I were you, although anthony has me thinking of this Zeobak stuff...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back