Why cant u keep sps?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering if current existing and established bacteria would out compete new bacteria strains too
Your comment makes me wonder.

I've used ZeoVit Cyano Clean Bacteria, at least twice.

It works to speed up a Cyano Outbreak cycle, thus ending Cyano problem.

Their product does say the way it works, is the Cyano Clean Bacteria outcompetes the CYANO BACTERIA.

So my point is, when I put in the Cyano Clean Bacteria, did it out compete the other good Bacteria in my System? It's probably a good strain of Bacteria and stronger to out compete Cyano-Bacteria, but makes me wonder about the state of Bacteria Diversity in my Tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gogi

Hey howdy :) I do have an opinion and a little works/example thread on the matter

Irony=large tanks are hard to keep sps in, and fishbowls are not. Proofs are linked :) any system where the keeper has immediate full access to the water column can keep sps by repeating roughly ten steps that work for all pico reefers. any system so large that being able to do a full water change all at once isn’t avail has challenges the small tanks don’t have

How this helps large tankers, few do fishbowls ha yep: it’s brainstorm material. Copy what you can from the known working method and upscale it in a questionable system

One thing we do different is the actual starting setup: most pico reefers use high quality live rock in the setup and this food web at the start makes a huge difference

We don’t have to carefully, hesitantly partially feed our systems for fear of nutrient overloading and filling a sandbed up with waste (starvation is big deal for large tankers)
No, a pico reefer can blast into a bowl 2 weeks worth of feed all at once, not starved+live rock, then just change out all the water later on and reset system cleanliness immediately while polyps are fed better than large tanks. That’s why pongpits bowl is so awesome it almost looks fake.

Also, we don’t care about nitrate and phosphate levels bc feed in, feed out, clean water is all it takes for pico reefers to keep sps

My bowl keeps sps for fourteen years and I do not know any of its params beyond temp and salinity. It’s cpr = feed in, feed out, water change over and over and over. No supplements required no ICP testing we don’t get RTN, STN, we simply have lack of room issues.

How many sps threads do you know right now where some form of invasion is over growing sps? How many are pico reefs with algae problems? That’s a large tankers headache. Pico reefers are willing and able to directly access their system to kill algae, we don’t wait for it to hopefully go away by starvation. Sps grow well for us because we create real estate that is open and ready and only coralline base, not bone white rock ready to grow more algae

Large tankers have to be hesitant, easy feeding, can’t easily access all areas of the tank for real estate guiding

we just kill the algae day one then it’s gone. Size of tank equals access ability, access ability alone determines sps health for pico reefers.

Last edited:

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely nothing lmaooo. actually idk tbh. I have left over Dr Tims and i plan on trying Zeobak + ZeoStart3 and the Tropic Marin one looks cool too

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely nothing lmaooo. actually idk tbh. I have left over Dr Tims and i plan on trying Zeobak + ZeoStart3 and the Tropic Marin one looks cool too
Zeostart3 is just kZ’s version of nopox. Vinegar, ethanol, alcohol etc. There’s no “bacteria” in there. It wouldn’t survive if there was.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, question. Maybe it's been answered but. Let's say I dose a bottle of Zeobak.
I am set for life? Do they multiply in the tank? Or is this a keep doseing thing.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By design and according to Zeovit’s own directives, it’s a keep dosing thing. You also wouldn’t dose an entire bottle in one go/shot.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we use liverock, the bacteria multiply and stay in the tank for long periofs of time, but if we dose it, we have to dose it continuously. Why can’t the dosed bacteria grow and multiply on their own like the ones from live rocks. Or can we dose it periodically, say every six months or so, due to being outcompeted by other bacteria.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By design and according to Zeovit’s own directives, it’s a keep dosing thing. You also wouldn’t dose an entire bottle in one go/shot.

If there is a bottle for bacteria, a bottle for bacteria food/ carbon to I guess promote binary fission. Why would you need to keep dosing. I understand that's the directions to keep but why.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a bottle for bacteria, a bottle for bacteria food/ carbon to I guess promote binary fission. Why would you need to keep dosing. I understand that's the directions to keep but why.

Good question. I don’t know the answer to that and, quite frankly, I don’t know that you’ll find one.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I don’t know the answer to that and, quite frankly, I don’t know that you’ll find one.
Zeobak should be dosed twice a week in order to renew bacterial colonies and avoid the predominance of a strain over the others.

@vanpire Had the right idea.

I guess this is the reason. Thinking they compete and the weaker strains are eliminated. Now wondering how necessary are the strain that gets eliminated.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If we use liverock, the bacteria multiply and stay in the tank for long periofs of time, but if we dose it, we have to dose it continuously. Why can’t the dosed bacteria grow and multiply on their own like the ones from live rocks. Or can we dose it periodically, say every six months or so, due to being outcompeted by other bacteria.
Bacteria do multiply however they get eaten by your coral. Most tank do well in the beginning because the bacteria population can handle the consumption but as more Coral growth they consume more bacteria therefore without adding them the population will decrease.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back