Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 gal mixed reef. Tank has been set up since 2013. Probably have close to 150 lbs of rock.. Treated for cyano twice to fully get rid of it. I'm having SPS frags die on me here and there. Found out nitrates and phosphates were at zero. I'm now dosing 50 ml of potassium nitrate daily. It's mixed 10 grams to 1 liter RO water. Dosing monopotassium phosphate to raise phosphates. Nitrates are at 5 ppm and phosphates are at 0.08. I have 8 fish, 5 are tangs. Most are 4-5 inches. I have never had to dose nitrates or phosphates. Was this caused by the use of chemiclean? Do I need to add bacteria to help get things in balance?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 200 gal mixed reef. Tank has been set up since 2013. Probably have close to 150 lbs of rock.. Treated for cyano twice to fully get rid of it. I'm having SPS frags die on me here and there. Found out nitrates and phosphates were at zero. I'm now dosing 50 ml of potassium nitrate daily. It's mixed 10 grams to 1 liter RO water. Dosing monopotassium phosphate to raise phosphates. Nitrates are at 5 ppm and phosphates are at 0.08. I have 8 fish, 5 are tangs. Most are 4-5 inches. I have never had to dose nitrates or phosphates. Was this caused by the use of chemiclean? Do I need to add bacteria to help get things in balance?
Your tank has been establish a long time so bacteria should be established however what did u start with? Live rock or dry rock? If with dry rock and u never introduce bacteria to your tank will act like a mature fowlr.
Most of the modern reef tank now a days to me is lacking the biology side of the equation. They can have perfect parameters , flows , light equipment etc but without an introduction of vital microorganisms and bacteria from the real live rock , the water chemistry is not complete.
You can purchase 10lb of real live rock and add to your tank then u can also add bacteria source through dosing to maintain it.
Bacteria die , get skim off and corals consume them so it's always good to replenish.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree stable Alk is key for SPS. My PAST hectic/ACCIDENTAL Alk swings damaged the SPS each time, and recovery was slow if at all.

Yet the Bacteria must have helped getting my Nitrates down to First Time Record levels (and staying there with more Fish Feeding) = Nutrients for Corals (Fish Poo).
It was easy to bring down Phosphates with regular GFO.
Nitrates reduction isn't an easy fix, and denitrification by Bacteria establish in Live Rock/Marine Pure did it. (slowly too!!)

I also think another small factor, was for years I used Tropic Marin Pro. It is a good sythetic salt with Lower Alk but I gave up a couple months ago (since spending more wasn't giving me results).
I switched to Red Sea Blue Bucket. It's not sythetic like TMP. Made from Evaporated Sea Water that has stuff in there from the Sea (I think). The switch to Red Sea may have contributed to the Cyano Outbreak as well.

But back to ALK Stability.
One key thing I added to my System is this. Exactly two months ago when things started to improve and kept improving.

2019-11-04_TankMate-AquaMon-Lab.jpg

It's a DIY Alk Monitor (3 Tank). Made from a broken Printer. Raspberry Pi and Ardiuno and plenty of spare parts.

2020-03-01_AquaMonGUI.jpg

All the bit's and pieces help, but the Alk Monitor prevented my Alk Mis-management.

Now I'm building a complimentary DIY Smart Doser to work with the Alk Monitor. That will take things to the Next Level.
2020-04-22_DoserIQ-1.jpg

What ever it was. I'm happy and pray things continue the way they are.
I seek no more improvements from the Grow and SPS colors.
Wow that's a hard core Alk monitor u build there.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank has been establish a long time so bacteria should be established however what did u start with? Live rock or dry rock? If with dry rock and u never introduce bacteria to your tank will act like a mature fowlr.
Most of the modern reef tank now a days to me is lacking the biology side of the equation. They can have perfect parameters , flows , light equipment etc but without an introduction of vital microorganisms and bacteria from the real live rock , the water chemistry is not complete.
You can purchase 10lb of real live rock and add to your tank then u can also add bacteria source through dosing to maintain it.
Bacteria die , get skim off and corals consume them so it's always good to replenish.
I used all the live rock from my 120 gal. Pic below. Nov 2015

2015-11-30_07-19-30.jpg

Pic of present tank years ago Dec 2017

20171204_123413.jpg

Lost it due to alk burn

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used all the live rock from my 120 gal. Pic below. Nov 2015

2015-11-30_07-19-30.jpg

Pic of present tank years ago Dec 2017

20171204_123413.jpg

Lost it due to alk burn
So this is not present picture what's wrong with the tank now. Chemiclean get rid of cyano but has nothing to do with your phosphate and nitrate. You can raise nutrients naturally by feed more frozen and flake also u can turn down protein skimmer just let it make bubble but not skim.

johnsonkobe24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes or you can purchase live rock and added to your tank
Thank you. I think I will keep dosing the bacteria. My last tank was filled with aiptasia from one of the live rocks

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong. I understand that bacteria consumes nitrates. My tank has stopped producing nitrates. Just don't understand why on a tank so established. Is my tank lacking a certain bacteria? Does my tank have a certain bacteria that consumes nitrates? I'm thinking an imbalance of bacteria. More of one that consumes nitrates and lack one that keeps the other in check?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong. I understand that bacteria consumes nitrates. My tank has stopped producing nitrates. Just don't understand why on a tank so established. Is my tank lacking a certain bacteria? Does my tank have a certain bacteria that consumes nitrates? I'm thinking an imbalance of bacteria. More of one that consumes nitrates and lack one that keeps the other in check?
Yes the bacteria is more proficient at reducing nitrate than phosphate. Thats why who’s dosing vodka, vinegar and sugar have notice zero nitrate but still high phosphate. The real live rock from the ocean has multi strain of bacteria therefore it provide more balance reduction of nutrients.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a hard core Alk monitor u build there.
Thanks. The Robotic Automation and Reporting is on the Hard Core Complex side.
But how it Measures Alk is Simple (since I'm not a chemist, why Re-Invent the wheel. Let the experts do that)

2020-02-23_HannaCradle.jpg

Just a simple Hanna Alk Test. The Automation does, what you do with your Hands. But Better.
Then I use a Camera to Read the Result with Computer Vision.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the bacteria is more proficient at reducing nitrate than phosphate. Thats why who’s dosing vodka, vinegar and sugar have notice zero nitrate but still high phosphate. The real live rock from the ocean has multi strain of bacteria therefore it provide more balance reduction of nutrients.

20200318_134323.jpg

So why has my tank stopped producing nitrates to where I have dose?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200318_134323.jpg

So why has my tank stopped producing nitrates to where I have dose?
Oh your tank is producing nitrates. It’s just being consumed and “locked up” by bacteria, algae and coral. This is where increased feeding comes into play. More mouths to feed = more food is needed for the tank.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only feeding in the evening after work. Throw some pellets, nori and some frozen at about a hour apart. Is that enough or should I invest in an automatic feeder?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm only feeding in the evening after work. Throw some pellets, nori and some frozen at about a hour apart. Is that enough or should I invest in an automatic feeder?
Honestly, an auto feeder is the way to go. The concept for feeding fish once a day should be left to predatory species. I think most people feed based on how much it will affect algae growth and not on the benefits of the animals(fish) they're keeping, I never understood this practice myself. Most fish that we keep in our tanks feed throughout the day, grazing, opportunity and actively hunting for food, then we put them in a glass box and give them a tiny morsel of food once a day, kinda seems cruel to me. Sorry, I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty, just feed high quality food throughout the day and make your fish and coral happy.
Happy reefing!

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ycnibrc welp i tried again and already failing, bought some easy sps like red monti cap an orange setosa and a montipora spongodes ( which i heard is hard to kill ) and after just 5 fays they are already bleaching. This is a picture of the monti cap and orange setosa after just 2 days being in the tank. I checked today and the monti cap is almost co.pletely gone. I know its not due to starvation since my nitrates are at 10ppm and phosphates at 0.10. I also know it cant be the PAR since the red cap is sitting at 200 PAR and thw orange setosa at 180 PAR. Ive been dosing zeobak for the past week.

20200603_204541.jpg 20200603_204546.jpg

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ycnibrc welp i tried again and already failing, bought some easy sps like red monti cap an orange setosa and a montipora spongodes ( which i heard is hard to kill ) and after just 5 fays they are already bleaching. This is a picture of the monti cap and orange setosa after just 2 days being in the tank. I checked today and the monti cap is almost co.pletely gone. I know its not due to starvation since my nitrates are at 10ppm and phosphates at 0.10. I also know it cant be the PAR since the red cap is sitting at 200 PAR and thw orange setosa at 180 PAR. Ive been dosing zeobak for the past week.

20200603_204541.jpg 20200603_204546.jpg
How long has the tank been up?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back