Why do all my softies die/melt!?!?

nmertz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have had my system setup for a little over a year now and everything is doing excellent! I have tons of LPS, a few SPS, and a BTA.. I do a 15% water change weekly - every Sunday and I never miss a day..

My question is, I can't keep soft corals except for my GSP.. I have tried Xenia, blue cove, and even my starter anthelia coral is starting to "melt" away.. They start out great but then they wither away. Anyone know what's up?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies like some Trates in the water, not high, but they prefer some. You shoulde be able to get away with them in your tank, are you feeding them? If theres no nutrients in the water they will need fed, like the SPS. High lighting is not a liking to them, strong light will work. The ones you've chosen thus far, alot of people have trouble with. Some can get them to acclimate, most can't. Those a toughies to get going.

OP
OP
nmertz1

nmertz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 1 kessil a350w on the tank. It is a 38 gallon nuvo. I have a tunze 9004 skimmer and I run chemi pure elite and purigen. My tank temp is consistent between 75-77 degrees. Salinity is at 1.026. I never test my water, just do frequent water changes and it has worked as (most) everything does very well. Here is a pic of my tank
zujevy5u.jpg

Before when I was running 2 kessil a150w
5a6e5ama.jpg

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any corals that like a dirty tank.

You said you don't test. With all those stony corals in your tank your alk can drop low quickly. I'd recommend testing alk at least to find out if that's your problem. Without testing uou can't eliminate those variables when troubleshooting.

mtnrunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried for years not test, but now that I have finally started to do it weekly, I see how necessary it is. Get you some Hanna Checkers, they make it easier. I check alk and cal weekly. Magnesium monthly.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any corals that like a dirty tank.

You said you don't test. With all those stony corals in your tank your alk can drop low quickly. I'd recommend testing alk at least to find out if that's your problem. Without testing uou can't eliminate those variables when troubleshooting.
I guess its not so much dirty tank, but when I had my Trates at 20, my softies were in great shape, when I got them to 0 they went south on me. Got Trates back up and all is well.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had trouble with softies in the past, once I had my phosphate down, I can finally keep em alive. Test your phosphate level

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be your softies are being starved out what with all the LPS eating up all the nutrients. Softies can't compete. Maybe a little chemical warfare going on too.
I experienced a melting of my zoa's whenever I was using Chemipure Elite. No sooner took it out and things were good again. Go figure right. Maybe cut down on the amount your using.

Ddavis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using for your water changes?
What is your salinity, ph, alk, phosphates, nitrates (basic water parameters)?
What is your substrate?

The parameters of your water need to closely match what Randy H-F published: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

My best guess is that one of your parameters will be out of range (ph or alk).

OP
OP
nmertz1

nmertz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using for your water changes?
What is your salinity, ph, alk, phosphates, nitrates (basic water parameters)?
What is your substrate?

The parameters of your water need to closely match what Randy H-F published: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

My best guess is that one of your parameters will be out of range (ph or alk).

I will have to test but I don't have a test kit as I just do frequent water changes and everything looks good. I am using Red Sea salt

Ddavis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Red Sea salt is a good start but most likely something is still off. I have seen soft corals melt when the ph is extremely low or the alk (KH) is off so at the very lest you need to test for these.

I also am interested in seeing your nitrate levels because having too much waste in your water is not good either.

For right now you are mostly looking at spending about as much as a good coral for a series of tests. The most inexpensive way is with api's test kit: http://www.amazon.com/API-Reef-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B001D6Z7QW

You can also find other test kits that are easier to read or even digital readouts but the cost goes up.

To correct low alk (KH) I would suggest two part dosing because you will be able to just add the elements needed.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back