Why do all these corals have ridiculous names?

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, new to the forum, and to reefing. Appreciate all the info here, so thank you all for contributing your knowledge and experience to the forum. I'm trying to set up a reasonably accurate biotope of French Frigate Shoals/Marshall Islands. Looking at online vendors I noticed all these corals have ridiculous names that don't actually tell me the species. Genus is fine, but how am I supposed to know what species of Acropora with a name like "haymaker" or "bubble gum"? It's ridiculous. LA has the species listed, does anyone know any other vendors who list them? I understand they may not be sponsors so I guess PM me for any that aren't. I have a pretty good list going of what I want to get, but it would be nice to have more than one vendor I can look at.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, all about exclusivity. MOST cases, there are zoas and palys that have different names but very similar if not the same species/color.
The only names that hold weight are WWC and Tyree-seems like they’re the ones ones that actually have exclusivity to them (ie no copycats). At least, that I’ve come across in the past 5 years.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, all about exclusivity. MOST cases, there are zoas and palys that have different names but very similar if not the same species/color.
The only names that hold weight are WWC and Tyree-seems like they’re the ones ones that actually have exclusivity to them (ie no copycats). At least, that I’ve come across in the past 5 years.

LoL if you don’t think they do the same as everyone else you’re mistaken

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL if you don’t think they do the same as everyone else you’re mistaken
I meant, the things like OG wwc bounce. Where it’s very distinctive that someone can’t just call it something else.
Tyree for sure mainly because of the (maybe trademarked) “tyree green” label. You can’t really copy that unless they haven’t heard of tyree green lol

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes names are helpful to define what colors are there. I think I agree with others here that it's mostly a marketing tactic to sell corals faster. I find it silly myself and don't keep track of, or even care about, names for my corals. If I trade someone corals I take a pic under white light and describe the colors too.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It lets you identify what it’s going to look like including color. Just like dogs; there is no species of dog that is specifically a German Sheppard or yellow lab, etc. ; all domesticated dogs are Canis lupus familiaris, but making vendor names makes it easier to identify what exactly you’re getting.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear a lot of mention of marketing hooplah here, but i also think the naming facilitates a very easy description of unique corals within the same species.

Can you imagine have to say "The tenuis with peach/pink branches, orange polyps that fade to yellow as you get closer to growth tips, with blue coralites, and a yellow mat " every time you wanted to talk about your WD??

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large “Licorice Laughing-Hyena” colony for sale, if anyone is interested. :)
Is that a new release ?! If so, I am very interested !

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to know the exact species of every coral I have. But not all corals are even completely classified or properly classified. And too often, they become reclassified as something else.

As for naming (and marketing), Green slimer acros. They’re very green and popular because they’re easy. It’s classified as “Acropora yongei”. But this species in the wild isn’t green. It’s pale yellow and brown. In the hobby, it looks much different. So thus, a name is born.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more for identification than anything. People tend to give familiar names to things to make it easy to recognize. Even the marketing angle is really based on identification. Jason Fox wants to be able to have the consumer recognize a JF Foxflame by name, not people requesting "that red Acropora with the yellow tips". I appreciate being able to tell someone I have a "Forest Fire digi" and a "Bubble Gum digi" and they know which of the many-colored Montipora digitata I'm referring to instantly.

Besides, there are many corals, especially Acropora, in which there isn't even agreement on what species it is or in which you have to study the skeletal structure under a microscope to get a positive ID. Not everything is done solely because of "money-grubbing".

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back