Why do my fish keep dying

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a question for strict vs loose fallow, a matter of choice at least between fallowing aquarists. Better than no prep

Based on patterns I read even without owning fish, the water carried between tanks is actually a stronger vector risk vs hard scapes.

Frags seem to be wet when we sit them in the new tank...

On counterpoint, fallow purists earn the highest disease prevention rates found and they didn't get there by practicing loose fallow, they even go ~ 90 days vs 45

You're ethically free to investigate both options for sure, at least that's how i would approach fish ownership one day. You're on the procedure path that has the highest degree of fish retention compared to zero prep tanks, customize as you see fit based on returns. This is a very good thread for our tank cyclers to read.

To add unprepped fish to a non fallow tank mixed with common marine lfs fish has a loss rate that is no longer acceptable, even if it takes the better part of a year to manifest for the masses.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will leave the remaining fish be for about a month. If all goes well should I continue to add fish (this time quarantining)?
At least 6 weeks, a month isn’t long enough.
jay

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a question for strict vs loose fallow, a matter of choice at least between fallowing aquarists. Better than no prep
I have a 125 gallon started it with 13 fish one blue green chromis got caught in wavemaker everyone said it was sick. My Nasso at 9 days stopped eating day 10 gone . But the other 11 are with me. And a couple more I have added.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon started it with 13 fish one blue green chromis got caught in wavemaker everyone said it was sick. My Nasso at 9 days stopped eating day 10 gone . But the other 11 are with me. And a couple more I have added.
I am sorry for your loss. I don't know what is worse, loss of fish or the reason for the loss.

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15 ppm
Salinity 1.024
Phos undetectable
It’s fish with rock and corals
Im using a sand bed
I run a hob protein skimmer as well as a canister filter that I clean every 1-2 weeks
water looks no problems, keep eyes on pariside and disease from your fishs. hope they are getting better!

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Based on patterns I read even without owning fish, the water carried between tanks is actually a stronger vector risk vs hard scapes.

Frags seem to be wet when we sit them in the new tank...

On counterpoint, fallow purists earn the highest disease prevention rates found and they didn't get there by practicing loose fallow, they even go ~ 90 days vs 45

You're ethically free to investigate both options for sure, at least that's how i would approach fish ownership one day. You're on the procedure path that has the highest degree of fish retention compared to zero prep tanks, customize as you see fit based on returns. This is a very good thread for our tank cyclers to read.

To add unprepped fish to a non fallow tank mixed with common marine lfs fish has a loss rate that is no longer acceptable, even if it takes the better part of a year to manifest for the masses.
So true.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t follow that
"I myself don't keep fish" is a quote from Brandon who just gave you lengthy reply on how to keep fish. Better to listen to someone with experience like well...anyone that has actually kept fish alive for many years. Just saying.

Jay is a better bet or even Atoll or well the list is endless. You can choose between Prophylactic treatment or more natural methods there is a whole range in between. I, of course am a heretic on the idea of treating each fish with chemical or antibiotic means without an actual diagnosis of the sick fish. I have killed way more fish in the past with Prophylaxis than other means. So, I had to adapt to other methods that worked for me. I had to do this to help my business at the time survive. I am no longer in the pet industry as a business. I did employ a veterinarian at Washington State University to assist me with diagnosis and remedy in one extreme situation. What he discovered has been mocked each time I bring it up. He had experience in the Aqua farming industry before teaching at the University. I used his suggestion and never had a problem with the fish again in those displays. So I seek people with solutions that I can afford and can implement with repeated success.

One of the things we used to do is establish the tanks with real live rock and inverts first. If you can hold off on the fish for the first 6 months or so the system seems much more stable for the fish introductions later. Just an observation from some of us who old schooled things way back in the 80's. Paul B has a tank that he has maintained since the 70's. He just moved the contents to a new tank a few years ago when he moved. I am in awe of someone who has that long term dedication and experience. There are others on this forum who have had success with Prophylaxis like Jay and Four Ford Family. It just never worked for me.

Sorry for the long read but you get the gist. Pick a plan and work the plan. Try to copy someone that has success that you can understand and emulate. This is a hobby so the method should meet your budget and abilities.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back