Why do you have frag tanks?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about setting one up but the profitability seems so low. I am curious to hear your alls reasons for having frag tanks

Edit: I am talking about frag grow out tanks. Not display tanks or lowboys themselves.

Last edited:

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the way they look honestly especially the waterbox frag tanks

IamLeE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like keeping the display tank clean of no frag racks... but my frag tank is plumbed straight to the same sump.. some people use a separate system if anything were to happen like a tank crash ... it’s a back up or quarantining coral before display

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like keeping the display tank clean of no frag racks... but my frag tank is plumbed straight to the same sump.. some people use a separate system if anything were to happen like a tank crash ... it’s a back up or quarantining coral before display
How’s it a quarantine if it’s hooked up to the same sump?

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just find it fun and easy to sell and buy and trade out of my frag tank. I have a 50 gallon lowboy plumbed behind the wall of my display.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly grow out small frags until they are more interesting to look at. I hate hate hate looking at frag plugs and tiles in my display.

I either transfer frags to rock rubble (after QT) or, If encrusting like a cyphastrea, place the frag plug on rock rubble then grow it out in the frag tank. Shares water with display and I can set the par to match. Only takes a month or two to get good enough growth to break the frag plugs off and move the rubble to display. Then I do the same again with the same plug for a backup, Then give away or sell the original frag.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly grow out small frags until they are more interesting to look at. I hate hate hate looking at frag plugs and tiles in my display.

I either transfer frags to rock rubble (after QT) or, If encrusting like a cyphastrea, place the frag plug on rock rubble then grow it out in the frag tank. Shares water with display and I can set the par to match. Only takes a month or two to get good enough growth to break the frag plugs off and move the rubble to display. Then I do the same again with the same plug for a backup, Then give away or sell the original frag.

Just picked this up- literally- for my fish room

This’ll be a combined mangrove lagoon grow out tank

9D6B8692-0686-468E-A65D-34A168C44C03.jpeg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of having back up frags, room to trim my DT corals and save the frags for the opportunity to trade, and the opportunity to share with new hobbyist.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back