Why do you prefer buying online to LFS?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those who like to buy stuff online better, why?

For me personally, I save gas (my LFS is 23 miles away), wear on my car, time, and maybe healthier specimens, though shipping fee can be a lot if below $150. My nearest LFS has so few selections that I keep seeing the same specimens every time I visit. That being said driving to LFS and seeing fish in person are so fun.

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do buy from my LFS when possible. The main reason I don't is very little selection. With fish they carry a lot of fish that aren't reef safe and the ones which are are mundane. With coral, pretty much the same thing. Few choices, most zoas are not colorful combo rocks that are way over priced, SPS is small dull, unhealthy. LPS pretty much the same.

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do buy from my LFS when possible. The main reason I don't is very little selection. With fish they carry a lot of fish that aren't reef safe and the ones which are are mundane. With coral, pretty much the same thing. Few choices, most zoas are not colorful combo rocks that are way over priced, SPS is small dull, unhealthy. LPS pretty much the same.
This is very true, the LFS store I am partial to, I made some suggestions to put better lighting, even t5s, on their coral tanks but the owner is not interested much in selling corals. The other end of the spectrum, LFS sells decent looking unnamed corals for beyond top dollar prices in their huge tank that's full of bubble algae and aptasia.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock usually comes from local. Equipment, salt etc usually online.

If an event or sale has good pricing on equipment then I will buy from lfs

Reason is I work from home and it’s just too convenient to order today , get item in 1 or 2 days and get to install etc at lunch time.
Only chance I can get to lfs is on weekends.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on your lfs.
3 in my town with 1 that is all about coral. Not counting petco.
I buy most of my supplies there. Online I buy things they dont carry that I use like, pumps, skimmer, calcium reactor.
I buy all my t5's from them as alot come in broken.
Bought a 120 and a 45 frag tank from them.
They always have good used stuff too. Got my ati 6 lamp from them.
Next closest town with a few lfs is 3 hours away.
Bought all my ro/di there for 2 years until I purchased a unit a month ago used from them.
Have not bought any coral or fish online yet.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local fish store that’s 20 minutes away has really gone down hill. Cyano in the tanks, Dead fish in the tanks etc. There is an absolutely fabulous local fish store about 45 minutes away and I go there when I can but with work and family I don’t always have time for 90 minutes of driving plus whatever time in the store. I will go there for livestock but I won’t go there for food or equipment it’s just not worth the drive it’s usually cheaper online and free shipping

Last edited:

HNR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than all of my dry goods (brs) I have bought all of my livestock for the reef from the lfs. I've been fortunate enough to live within reasonable driving proximity to two great stores with healthy livestock and reasonable prices. I typically dont bulk buy and tend to buy a frag or two sporadically. With shipping prices being so expensive and only rewarding purchases of large quantities its just cheaper to buy from my lfs. I also enjoy the trip to going there and seeing livestock whether Im buying or not.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the 3 in my town, there is only 1 I really ever buy anything from. Her store is small but she orders good stuff and has fair prices. The other had potential to be awesome but livestock is never healthy, dead fish in tanks every time I go in and just not clean and they let their once awesome display go to crap.

Supplies I always buy online because local selection is pretty bad. I buy corals online mostly because everything here is mundane.

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I preferred to order online for livestock is when I lived in Pennsylvania. The closest good store was 3 hours away, and by the time I factored in gas, which is very expensive there and the cost of tolls which was bout $25, it was far cheaper, and really more practical just to order online. but i much rather go to LFS and cherry pick what I want.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer lfs to buying online mainly because i buy 1 or 2 fish max whenever i add live stock and buying online with shipping for 2 fish isn't worth it imo it kinda makes you buy more then you should to make the price worth it i will however buy fish online if its a fish i cant find in my lfs

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't live close to a good LFS. I have to drive at least 1.5 hours to Atlanta, and then it is an all day trip going to my favorite stores there. It is just easier and usually I order enough to get free shipping anyways. I would much rather support a LFS, trust me. One day I would like to open my own even, but I would even imagine then that most of my business would be by shipping product out.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS doesn't guarantee any fish/corals, never has sales on SW fish/corals. I do buy a few things, mostly water but I can drive an hr away & get 3 corals for $50/$80 just about any day. Sometimes the selection isn't that great but I just wait until my next trip there.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't live close to a good LFS. I have to drive at least 1.5 hours to Atlanta, and then it is an all day trip going to my favorite stores there. It is just easier and usually I order enough to get free shipping anyways. I would much rather support a LFS, trust me. One day I would like to open my own even, but I would even imagine then that most of my business would be by shipping product out.
How far are you from Columbia, that's where I go 4/5 times a yr. Hr Drive from Augusta.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS matches online regular prices for hard goods, and a lot of the equipment manufacturers MAP price now anyway. I’d rather give him the money than a mail order company. I use my LFS for everything I can. Online only for corals and fish he can’t get.

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally try to strike a balance between online and LFS. However, selection of product and prizing plays although into it. Just last weekend I was at my LFS to buy an additional return pump. And behold they had a trident in stock but looking at the sticker it was prized at 70$ above MRP. Makes me question........

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Greenville, so about 2 hour drive to Columbia. I stop by Fishy Business and Palmetto Reef when I am down that way.
That's where I go, there is another one off Clemson Rd but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I think their a sponsor here.
It's Aquarium Specialty. They have a great selection & prices aren't bad.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back