Why is this hard ?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dont get it. Im new to the saltwater hobby, and im trying my best here to buy the nest gear for my saltwater tank so i dont have future issues. Its just this mikwaukee refractometer is giving me such a hard time. I ran out of the solution they provide to calibrate. But i was watching a youtube video, and they said i can use RODI to calibrate it. Its just not right. I put rodi and i zero it out. And then i rest with the other 1.025 solution they provided and its 1.026. I truly wants to know the salinity in my saltwater tank. Its bery irritating to have this +/- differences im just pulling my hair.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Uh, that's within the margin of error and totally acceptable. Close enough is good enough in this hobby.

I've calibrated my Milwaukee once in 3 years of ownership. Never an issue.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, that's within the margin of error and totally acceptable. Close enough is good enough in this hobby.

I've calibrated my Milwaukee once in 3 years of ownership. Never an issue.
I understand. But its just frustating that u always have this +/- error. Like theres no way to know the exact number? Its funny though when i got this refractometer a week ago. And i used their bottle it was giving me 1.025 exactly but as soon as i started using RODI i lost it.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand. But its just frustating that u always have this +/- error. Like theres no way to know the exact number? Its funny though when i got this refractometer a week ago. And i used their bottle it was giving me 1.025 exactly but as soon as i started using RODI i lost it.

Everything in life has a margin of error and tolerances when building.

Get a Tropic Marin glass hydrometer if you want more exact numbers. Much harder to use and super easy to break but accurate.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything in life has a margin of error and tolerances when building.

Get a Tropic Marin glass hydrometer if you want more exact numbers. Much harder to use and super easy to break but accurate.
I have one sitting in the box. I dont know how to use it. I cant find any good youtube videos about it. The only video iv seen that makes some sense but not is the brs video.

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered one of these as well and the '0' solution zeroed the unit, but the 1.025 solution measured 1.027! However tank read 1.026 which is what my extremely large and floating glass type hydrometer says as well - so I am going with the 0 is good and like someone said above - it's close enough.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my good old fashion handheld refractometer so I don't have to rely on electronic equipment and the paranoia of the machine giving me bad results. With the handheld refractometer, I can calibrate and test my water in a few seconds and it holds its calibration quite well.

IMO, just because something is expensive and 'high tech' doesn't always means its better or easier to use.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you run out of that solution? Ive only calibrated mine 2x and mines within .001-.002. Im good with that. I keep my salinity around 1.025 just to be safe. KISS

And OP its not that hard just lower your expectations a bit. Its one of the best refractometers on the market. Have some faith.

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one sitting in the box. I dont know how to use it. I cant find any good youtube videos about it. The only video iv seen that makes some sense but not is the brs video.
I have the glass one as well. I wanted this one for smaller batches of water for my phyto farm! The glass and this new unit are spot on - if I only had 5 gallons of that test solution to test it with the glass to see if it reads 1.025 :p

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is how I use mine

Place 450 ml of tank water in a 500 ml graduated cylinder
Place hydrometer in water and let stabilize (I normally test Nitrate, Phosphate, ALk during this time)
Take reading from bottom of meniscus ( look below the water line)
1660651286573.png

Take temperature reading of water in cylinder
If not 77.0° F Calculate the actual using this online calculator
Use corrected number.

Article that the photo is from

strawberryfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also try and take it easy, I find salinity tends to be easy to manage once you get your top off and water change schedule worked out. Really the main params you'll be checking regularly is Calcium, Magnesium, and alkalinity. And nitrates to manage feeding.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious, how do you know?
Margin of error? It's in the manual.

That it is still on point? I weigh my salt when I make new water. After making the new water, I test it on my Milwaukee and it's spot on.

Test my tank, spot on.

Salinity is one of the easiest parameters we keep. I only care about it when the tank is new and then only randomly check it after.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been using the same refractor for about 20 years. It’s a Milwaukee and is close enough. I could probably buy another and get a different reading. All our test equipment has a margin of error.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back