Why Mg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was inspired to write this thread after responding to a possible digestion issue. When many of us are keeping a fowlr, we ignore the balance of elements. I had heard of the home remedy epsom salts, but because of other ingredients which include sulfur, I decided it wasn't right for my tank, it is also used as a fertilizer. Mg is the active ingredient in epsom salts. Usually reef inhabitants being fed a proper diet will not have these issues, although new additions may.

1st case study: an active and good eating painted angler went off feeding. After careful observation for more than a week I noticed something else. No turd, you see anglers will lay abturd like a pile of dog poop. So I figured constipation. I remembered epsom salt(mg) and the old laxative my mother used to use, Milk of Mg. So I tested the tank for mg andnitbwas very low, I dosed up the mag pretty high over the next couple of days, and voila, and big healthy turd and my angler was a beast again.

2nd case study: a leaf scorp went off feeding, as I could not see any other reasons and I also had seen no poop, these guys lay dog poop too. I raised the mg and voila.

3rd case study: blackfoot lion with a prolapsed rectum. A prolapsed rectum is usually caused from straining. I raised the mg and within a week or so, no more prolapsed rectum.

Mg is a very stable element and Im sure fish dont use alot of it. If you are using a high quality salt mix and doing regular water changes, your mg will likely be in check. It's not a bad idea to check it and at least maintain reef levels of mid 1200. I've safely raised it over 1600ppm, but have found 1400ppm to be a good sweet spot when digestion issues has become a concern.

Fish do use elements from the water column, and proper nutrition is one of the most difficult things to achieve with predators. Ca is anothet elememt these fish may benefit from the water column, especially if you are feeding dead foods without bones and shells. Mg will help with digestion especially with fish we use a gorge/fast feeding routine.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's interesting!

In all of the case studies, were they all in tanks that had a high uptake of magnesium? For example, did they run algae filters (macro or otherwise), or have a large amount of coral growth in them?

Was anything else changed in all three case studies (water changes, addition/removal of inhabitants)?

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's interesting!

In all of the case studies, were they all in tanks that had a high uptake of magnesium? For example, did they run algae filters (macro or otherwise), or have a large amount of coral growth in them?

Was anything else changed in all three case studies (water changes, addition/removal of inhabitants)?

All of these 3 were in a fowlr where I would normally not monitor mg. Also back in the day when using Instant Ocean salt for a fowlr. Now I use Frirz RPM even for my fowlrs, so much more balanced and stable with element's including mg. I never encountered any issues that was discovered in a reef, where mg was monitored and maintained at around 1260-1300ppm. If your pred goes off feeding it is something to consider, perhaps constipation or blockage. So check mg and even increase for a time ifbin doubt.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200902_084321.jpg
Rhino poop, hahaha
You can tell I had some time before work this morning.

It's like your dog has been lethargic and not eating, you go out in the back yard to scoop some poop, and there's no poop. Obviously all fish dont poop like this and its impossible to track their bowel movement. But it is how I stumbled across the correlation between mg and digestion.

It's not a bad idea if you are keeping an observation tank with new preds, to run about 1400ppm of mg. It may also help passing a rock or some other blockage. After a bout of constipation, the angler poop looked very hard at end, or beginning.

20200902_084321.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back