Why my cycle is restarting?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added bottle of fritz 900 2 weeks ago. Tested 3 days ago nitrite was 0 with ammonia. I added 2ppm ammonia 2 days ago to test the cycle. Nitrite went up again. what the heck is happening

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added bottle of fritz 900 2 weeks ago. Tested 3 days ago nitrite was 0 with ammonia. I added 2ppm ammonia 2 days ago to test the cycle. Nitrite went up again. what the heck is happening
What test kits are you using? What is current ammonia and nitrate? The longer I'm in this hobby the more I think Nitrite tests are completely worthless.

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nitrite and ammonia were 0. Then you added 2ppm ammonia. And it’s turned into nitrite correct? If so this is correct for cycle. Ammonia->nitrite->nitrate. It does take time for the process to happen as long as the ammonia is going down you’re on the right path

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nitrite and ammonia were 0. Then you added 2ppm ammonia. And it’s turned into nitrite correct? If so this is correct for cycle. Ammonia->nitrite->nitrate. It does take time for the process to happen as long as the ammonia is going down you’re on the right path
Thats correct. Now my day is ruined because i wanted to do a water change and buy fish. But i guess not.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20220912_103042.jpg
    20220912_103042.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 41

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ati test kits are notoriously inconsistent. I would recommend getting some different ones like salifert or Red Sea. In the mean time I would suggest taking a sample to your lfs and having them test it(unless they are using the same kit)

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ati test kits are notoriously inconsistent. I would recommend getting some different ones like salifert or Red Sea. In the mean time I would suggest taking a sample to your lfs and having them test it(unless they are using the same kit)
I mean buying a red sea just for a cycle and throwing it out its too much. Api for cycle is more than enough

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is what is suppose to happen the bacteria convert the ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate. This will continue to happen continually when you have live stock in the tank.

aquarium-nitrogen-cycle.png

Last edited:

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean buying a red sea just for a cycle and throwing it out its too much. Api for cycle is more than enough
Politely disagree because API gives you junk readings so you would honestly be better off with no test kit and work off a calendar. False /misleading/inaccurate readings are just stressing you out. Honestly, I just go for a quality nitrate kit, then test once a week.

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything crazy going on. I would advise you to not add any more ammonia. I would also skip the water change. Once your API test looks closer to 0 than 0.25ppm ammonia then I would add one fish. However, I am not an expert and free advice is worth what you pay for it.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any problem here either.
0 ammonia
Add ammonia
0 ammonia again with nitrite. Normal.
Instead of adding ammonia, add a fish.
Oh lol is that what its. I thiught when cycle us over even when ammonia is there nitrite u wont see it anymore its skipped.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh lol is that what its. I thiught when cycle us over even when ammonia is there nitrite u wont see it anymore its skipped.
Ammonia >nitrite>nitrate.
You just happened to test before nitrite was converted to nitrate.
Tank is new, go slow so the tank has time to build up populations.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Politely disagree because API gives you junk readings so you would honestly be better off with no test kit and work off a calendar. False /misleading/inaccurate readings are just stressing you out. Honestly, I just go for a quality nitrate kit, then test once a week.
API worked just fine for my cycle testing. Of course I ditched them soon as started needing to test other parameters.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I asked for the results. Do a water change, throw away the nitrite and ammonia tests, get a fish or 2.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back