Why so green?

iigrinchii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to be growing some kind of green velvet alge wherever light intensity is at the highest. Looks like it’s turning into coralline?Should I leave it be or try to fix it? Any input good or bad is welcome and highly valued.

Tests taken before water change. No2-0.05, ammonia-0, ph-8.2, no3-2. I have a 5 month old all in one Fuval 15 gallon nano. Not a fan of the lightning system or the skimmer. I use filtered ocean water from a local aquarium store and do 10-15% water changes on weekends. I feed my two fish freeze dried food daily. I like to feed the corals fridays, clean the glass on Saturdays and then do a water change. I also change the carbon monthly.

CAC2E546-5321-49CE-971D-9777B2B6F2F4.jpeg 7D154444-F6DC-4F84-B391-C72C2A7A999A.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely a response to light and lack of cleaner crew,
Check your phosphates and nitrates indicate your getting there.
What test kits are you using ?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
Is tank at or near the window ?

Reduce white light intensity
Add the following snails:
3 turbo
3 astrea
1 trochus
2 cerith
4-6 blue leg hermit crabs (the tiny ones)

OP
OP
iigrinchii

iigrinchii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea Marine multi test kit. No phosphate testing ordering one now. Thanx. I have two small fish and feed them maybe a quarter cube each day.
8 different coral frags, 1 bubble anemone, 1 clown fish (which surprisingly does not go in the anemone), 1 Pygmy Angel, 3 blue legged and 2 big red legged crabs, 2 turbo snails

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea Marine multi test kit. No phosphate testing ordering one now. Thanx. I have two small fish and feed them maybe a quarter cube each day.
8 different coral frags, 1 bubble anemone, 1 clown fish (which surprisingly does not go in the anemone), 1 Pygmy Angel, 3 blue legged and 2 big red legged crabs, 2 turbo snails
Captive clowns don’t from my experience with them. It’s a shame really!
How long are your lights on for? Maybe shorten the lighting or adjust whites down if possible

OP
OP
iigrinchii

iigrinchii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive clowns don’t from my experience with them. It’s a shame really!
How long are your lights on for? Maybe shorten the lighting or adjust whites down if possible
Lights came with the aquarium kit. I turn on blue light mornings and evenings. Bright light is on throughout the day. No way to automate it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back