Why so many Neptune Tridents for Sale?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my trident. I don’t take it as gospel. I expect some errors. I don’t let it co trip my dosing. However, I’m TERRIBLE at testing regularly. My trident has been a life saver by having me notice that the uptake is changing before corals look bad. I always found le check with my Hannah’s. Unless something went crazy bad, I wouldn’t want to get rid of mine. Though, if something did go crazy, I’d think the trident was broken and not worth trying to sale. Maybe a warranty issue, but I wouldn’t sell someone broken equipment.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Early on there was some talk of annual maintenance. I do not personally recall them saying 18 months, but I don’t follow the various social media sources so probable I missed it. Makes sense that things like peristaltic tubing will require replacement over time. I replace the tubing in my GHL doser every two years, so perhaps trident would be on a similar timeline. I’ve inspected mine for things like cuvette staining and see none, but tubing wear is harder to spot .... well, until the lines start leaking. It would be nice to get some definitive statement and/or replacement plan. Mine will be two years in May.
Right - after using the alkatronic for a while now, I don't know how a trident wouldn't require maintenance in order to keep an accurate alk reading. Now, if users can self-maintain, cool. But I'd be worried about the accuracy and decline over time. Mag and Cal, not so much. The trident uses a titration method right?

U

User1

View Badges
So your 'solution' is to void the warranty to make it work how it should? That doesn't sound very flexible. Its also a forced way to fit your statement and make mine 'false' when they aren't. I'll revise mine - under normal operation without voiding the warranty it has specific amounts of tests and frequency of those tests. Better?

Neptune has only stated one thing - that units will need to be sent back in 18 months. They have yet to say otherwise. Perhaps covid is the reason why they haven't started it. Point is, my statement is still true until neptune says otherwise. Sure, no one has been asked to sent a unit in..... But that can change since they haven't updated their statement. If it's as simple as updating a statement, why haven't they done so? Perplexing.

Note, I'm an apex fan.

California is having a wonky time with Covid. As others are but small businesses keep getting the run around as to who can go into work, who can't, and who is essential. I'm not saying that has anything to do with maintenance or not or updates but I can say without a doubt it isn't helping any.

Welcome to the chaos state ;)

U

User1

View Badges
Early on there was some talk of annual maintenance. I do not personally recall them saying 18 months, but I don’t follow the various social media sources so probable I missed it. Makes sense that things like peristaltic tubing will require replacement over time. I replace the tubing in my GHL doser every two years, so perhaps trident would be on a similar timeline. I’ve inspected mine for things like cuvette staining and see none, but tubing wear is harder to spot .... well, until the lines start leaking. It would be nice to get some definitive statement and/or replacement plan. Mine will be two years in May.

Not that you asked but post #1 has the information on the original scheduled maintenance (18 - 24 months). Granted pre-c19...

U

User1

View Badges
Right - after using the alkatronic for a while now, I don't know how a trident wouldn't require maintenance in order to keep an accurate alk reading. Now, if users can self-maintain, cool. But I'd be worried about the accuracy and decline over time. Mag and Cal, not so much. The trident uses a titration method right?

It does titration, correct.

I linked the original FAQ above. Self maintain kit was thought of. Also during a live stream this year they said they are looking at a possible option of paying a deposit to have one sent and you send yours back for no downtime. I think they are weighing in options and C19 isn't helping any.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that you asked but post #1 has the information on the original scheduled maintenance (18 - 24 months). Granted pre-c19...

Thanks. Mostly gave up on that FAQ thread as it seemed to be more winge-fest than actually useful. Imagine I must have read at least the first post LOL. Going to be 60 at my next birthday .... memory not what it was.

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It does titration, correct.

I linked the original FAQ above. Self maintain kit was thought of. Also during a live stream this year they said they are looking at a possible option of paying a deposit to have one sent and you send yours back for no downtime. I think they are weighing in options and C19 isn't helping any.
That would be great as owners wouldn't have to have any down time. After the loaner stock builds up, it would be easy to just send out a used one as the loaner.

U

User1

View Badges
That would be great as owners wouldn't have to have any down time. After the loaner stock builds up, it would be easy to just send out a used one as the loaner.

It was one of the things discussed earlier in the year during one of the live streams. I do not work at Neptune even though one of the lads a few pages back thinks I do. So do not hold me to it - just what I remember hearing.

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And after they have a stock of slightly used ones they can sell me one of them at a reduced price! Lol

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have graphs showing the trend of each parameter throughout the course of a day, with no dosing occurring?

Have been curios as to what that looks like. More curios of the trend and not necessarily absolute values.

Understanding that each tank will be different.

Not sure what reference points may also be beneficial (e.g. lighting on/off).

U

User1

View Badges
Does anyone have graphs showing the trend of each parameter throughout the course of a day, with no dosing occurring?

Have been curios as to what that looks like. More curios of the trend and not necessarily absolute values.

Sure, I can give you an ALK example. I had some data left around from Jul - Oct. I forget why I was collecting it other than I seem to recall I was throwing it into Grafana. I know I have similar for Ca and Mg but must be on my other computer.

1609370535119.png

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I can give you an ALK example. I had some data left around from Jul - Oct. I forget why I was collecting it other than I seem to recall I was throwing it into Grafana. I know I have similar for Ca and Mg but must be on my other computer.

1609370535119.png
This is with dosing?

I'm looking for an example of a day without dosing.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1609370535119.png

That's a pretty long day ;)

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Lighting, consumption, top off, feeding, lots of things will change alk through the day. If you're wondering if it drifts you'd need to compare it against a trusted test.

U

User1

View Badges
This is with dosing?

I'm looking for an example of a day without dosing.

Trident controlled dosing, yes. That is a few months worth. I mean I can eyeball it and get a visible trend. Heck that is with ESV 2 part then me later changing to TM AFR now that I think about it.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone’s trident is “consistently inaccurate” I would be blaming installer, not the machine..... see it everyday in the mechanical/electrical installation field

install was fine, just an FYI I have an open case with them and their response is “it’s environmental and no calibration will fix it and just wait and send them data as they ask for it”

Last edited:

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you realize how many people you just called a moron on this forum? Been in the hobby since 1999.

Trident controlled dosing comes up from time to time and usually with a bit of a misunderstanding, or ignorance, of how it works. Your opening line above by calling everyone a moron who uses it is just one example. The Trident in of itself isn't going to dump anything above or outside a set range of influence. It has a built in safety net - a control range - for the desired parameter. Plain and simple. It tightens the values but will not exceed and revert back.

At the end of the day this is how I see it. If you want automated testing it is best to start with your existing controller choice and ecosystem. It makes dollars and cents (sense) because you are already invested and it will be a cheaper entry point. GHL and Neptune will both be solid choices and used different technology to get there. If you don't have a controller but are interested in automated testing then make a list of pro and cons to see which one checks off the most boxes. Include to the best of your ability reagent, reference fluid, and other replacements because if you travel like me someone may have to do that task for you if you are out.

At the end of the day none of these are a necessary piece of equipment. It is a convenience.
May have been way too harsh with my words, but still feel it's not a great idea. Yeah a couple of vets will pop in and say they have been doing it before they went to Nam but at the end of the day I couldn't imagine a newer hobbyist relying on this thing without the expertise or experience to know when something is off in the tank.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back