Why would UPS steal SAND?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh.

I just picked up a two box @Bulk Reef Supply order that was delivered to my building’s locker delivery system, supposedly fufilled by UPS.

First box which had Selcon, Vita-Chem and a Flipper Edge was perfectly fine. Second box that had a 20lb bag of CaribSea Special Grade Sand was empty! Someone in the delivery chain cut the tape in the box, took the bag of sand out and actually delivered the empty box!

Now, I’ve had this exact same thing happen before with an Amazon package delivered by LaserShip/Ontrac, but would expect UPS to be far more trustworthy (of course, unless they’re using one of these services for last-mile delivery). I’ve since stopped buying on Amazon and refuse to give my money to any online vendor that has LaserShip/Ontrac as part of their last-mile delivery efforts.

About to open an RMS, but I have doubts whether BRS will honor the stolen item.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Highly doubt someone stole it but it might of just fell out of the box and the person didn’t care enough to fix the box

I doubt it.

The tape was cleanly cut (and this was actually a decent packing job from BRS).

It may not have been the person who delivered and put the box in the locker, but it was definitely removed from the box at some point during transit. Though I cannot imagine anyone earlier than the last few people handling the box in the delivery chain not flagging it as empty.

The amazon package which was stolen (Umbrella and rechargeable XBox controller batteries) was one of those plastic tear away Amazon envelopes. Someone tore the seal and removed the items, then stored it in the locker.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Highly doubt someone stole it but it might of just fell out of the box and the person didn’t care enough to fix the box
This was my first thought as well. The box failed and the bag of sand fell out. . . maybe on some conveyer belt or the back of a semi. . . the bag and box got separated and someone just taped it back up.

Tape can fail along an edge fairly cleanly I imagine. . .

That or some reefer out there saw an opportunity for free sand!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk. I once bought a 3-pack seachem focus as it was a good deal from Amazon even though I didn’t have an immediate need at the time. A couple of month passed by before I finally had a chance to use it. So I opened the them to only find empty bottles.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a box with bio balls stolen from my apartment’s package room. I’m pretty sure that thief was quite disappointed once they got the box open. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, either fellow crook reefer or guy was doing some renovation of his house and needed some sand.

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk. I once bought a 3-pack seachem focus as it was a good deal from Amazon even though I didn’t have an immediate need at the time. A couple of month passed by before I finally had a chance to use it. So I opened the them to only find empty bottles.
Those were probably returned and resold by Amazon.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it.

The tape was cleanly cut (and this was actually a decent packing job from BRS).

It may not have been the person who delivered and put the box in the locker, but it was definitely removed from the box at some point during transit. Though I cannot imagine anyone earlier than the last few people handling the box in the delivery chain not flagging it as empty.

The amazon package which was stolen (Umbrella and rechargeable XBox controller batteries) was one of those plastic tear away Amazon envelopes. Someone tore the seal and removed the items, then stored it in the locker.
Someo has a locker key and you are filling their tank up with great stuff.

Be happy that you’ve been helping out a fellow thieffer.

You need to report this to the package box people (someone has to be responsible for this). And let BRS know and Amazon cause they don’t want their packages tampered with before the customer gets the box.

Find a different way to get your packages. At work, a friends house or o PO Box, some place beside the one you got ripped off 2x from.

Or get a camera and catch the creep. Put their face on fliers if you get a good picture. You can’t be the only victim unless they live with you, but I doubt that last possibility.
Pictures Thief GIF

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Someo has a locker key and you are filling their tank up with great stuff.

Be happy that you’ve been helping out a fellow thieffer.

You need to report this to the package box people (someone has to be responsible for this). And let BRS know and Amazon cause they don’t want their packages tampered with before the customer gets the box.

Find a different way to get your packages. At work, a friends house or o PO Box, some place beside the one you got ripped off 2x from.

Or get a camera and catch the creep. Put their face on fliers if you get a good picture. You can’t be the only victim unless they live with you, but I doubt that last possibility.
Pictures Thief GIF

So, I live in an apartment building in Brooklyn, it’s relatively new, built in 2015. We have doormen to accept large packages and ones requiring signatures, and a dedicated package/delivery locker room and system for smaller boxes not requiring a signature, it’s called Luxer.

This room is monitored by CCTV 24/7. The locker system is completely digital, delivery guys are on (an iPad) camera when they select the locker to stuff the delivery into, however, they often cover the camera with the box itself. When it’s delivered, I get text/email notifications with a unique PIN to use the same iPad to open the locker, then I head down to retrieve. The box is secured from "porch pirates".

Regardless, I've emailed BRS to initiate.

The time it happened with Amazon made me realize they don't really care about these instances, their site/app design has no real way to report stolen items and calling them is futile. I ultimately decided to stop using them when in addition to that one package being stolen, they twice failed to deliver 1 gallon bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide which were both "lost in transit" by Ontrac/LaserShip.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it was the driver. They are so underpaid that they have to steal sand for their reef tank. Once the tank is cycled they'll start stealing livestock to add. Those boxes are well marked so they won't even have to guess what is inside.
UPS drivers make bank!!!

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UPS drivers make bank!!!

Which is why I’m wondering if they may have partnered with Ontrac/Lasership for last-mile delivery.

Lasership hires sub-contractors to make deliveries in NYC, and many companies that offer same/next-day delivery use them. They have a terrible reputation for packages lost or stolen in transit.

I’m at a point where I confirm that a company actually uses UPS/Fedex/USPS/etc to fulfill orders (and avoids Ontrac/Lasership altogether).

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always avoid Amazon. Often pay more, to make sure money does not go to Bozo .
May have needed nice sand for their kid. Many people have sandboxes for their children to play in. It need to be reported.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always avoid Amazon. Often pay more, to make sure money does not go to Bozo .
May have needed nice sand for their kid. Many people have sandboxes for their children to play in. It need to be reported.
I’m rethinking my original answer and now I’m suspicious of a cat owner in the supply chain.
maru GIF

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back