Wild collected Maxima worth trying?

If you have had any wild collected clams, did it survive?

• No, it didn't look good from the start

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NPS_Bulu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a Maxima clam at the LFS that I'm into. It's about 7". Judging from the size, this is definitely a wild collected one.

Does anyone have any idea if it looks healthy? It is reacting well to shadow. The mantle extension isn't as much as farmed one's but I understand that's typical with wild specimen. It is resting on sand in the lfs with a bunch of other squamosa and hippopus. I didn't have the chance to check the shell for white growth band.

I've learned that wild collected tridanca has terrible survival rate. Can anyone provide a rough estimate how many % didn't survive long term? Is it possible for a clam to appear healthy without PMD at the lfs but start dying later?

Thanks in advance!!

20200220_012808.jpg Screenshot_20200220-105148_Messenger.jpg

OP
OP
NPS_Bulu

NPS_Bulu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have none. I used to have a squamosa that had PMB, which appears OK at the LFS. I did a freshwater dip and it got stressed out and declined and died. So not a great experience for me, and killing a clam is not something I wanna do again.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Maxima are really easy to keep as long as you keep your paramenters stable and have high light. I keep a lot of wild Maxima over the years. I would QT them well and not add any to your tank until you are sure that they don't carry any disease.

OP
OP
NPS_Bulu

NPS_Bulu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Maxima are really easy to keep as long as you keep your paramenters stable and have high light. I keep a lot of wild Maxima over the years. I would QT them well and not add any to your tank until you are sure that they don't carry any disease.
Thanks man... Will keep reminding myself of that.

OP
OP
NPS_Bulu

NPS_Bulu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to spot any red flags on the picture?

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you recommend clams be in QT?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT my clams for about 1 months. Checking for diseases, but also make sure they don't have any parasitic snails. I knock all the scutles off the clam and cut any attachment from the clam. That way, I can really clean the clam well and make sure that there are no parasites.
Dick the owner at Tropicorium also do prophylactic FWD on all the clams he received. If you are getting wild clams, you may want to do this.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back