Wildlife near you :)

I dont have pics... but we live in a neighborhood with a pond and a park. Over the years we have had a black bear (only one). but the birds are the great part. Killdeer, swallows, sparrows, mallard ducks, several other ducks in migration, canadian geese, finch, woodpeckers, merlin falcon, great horned owl, pelicans, blue heron, osprey, bald eagles all have come to the pond (stocked with trout) to feed in one way or another.

A few summers ago like clockwork an osprey would come about 6:00 pm and grab a fish and go back in the same direction. And I can watch it all from my living room!
 
Took a ride on board the Aquarium's research vessel / floating classroom "Spirit of the Sound" with my granddaughter. Saw cormorants, osprey and black-backed gulls on their nests, pulled sea robins, a skate and a porgy in the trawl . . .

20170603_110745.jpg
20170603_114802.jpg
20170603_115157.jpg

But it was these little critters I thought might amuse the crowd here - 'pods in the plankton tow:

~Bruce


How do you post videos????!!!
 
You'll need to use one of the video hosting sites - post them there, link them here.

I use Youtube - upload the video there and link to it from my post here. (In the options bar above your post, you'll see a box with four icons - "Smilies, Image, Media, and Insert" - Click the "Media" icon, insert your video's location info, and you're off to the races!

~Bruce
 
You'll need to use one of the video hosting sites - post them there, link them here.

I use Youtube - upload the video there and link to it from my post here. (In the options bar above your post, you'll see a box with four icons - "Smilies, Image, Media, and Insert" - Click the "Media" icon, insert your video's location info, and you're off to the races!

~Bruce

O gotcha. Thanks.
 
First one from this year taken in total darkness @ 1am second last year middle of the day. Point of reference, that feeder is 8 feet of the ground, or was... LOL first pic bear stood up and could reach that feeder at 8 feet. He must have stood over 7 feet

9ba04ccbdade39d9620ed3e2e931fe74.jpg

4690c0c7f318327847adac3d5ed64cc9.jpg
 
I'll have to get some pictures of them, but there are a lot of wild ponies on Assateage Island which is where we go to the beach (10 minutes from the driveway). You almost always have to wait while one crosses the street on your way in.

Other than that, I've seen a deer in the back yard. A fox has gotten a handful of our ducks and chickens so I know they're around. A surprising amount of Bald Eagles around as well as all the usual ocean birds .

Does our pig count as wildlife if she lives in the house? She's about 150lbs. Lol
 
A bunch of pictures I have collected recently.
IMG_2447.JPG
A vol I think but if you have an opinion I'd love to hear it.
IMG_2451.JPG IMG_2508.JPG
A collection of pictures of a red tail hawk fledglings from a banding program
DSCN3210.JPG IMG_2492.JPG IMG_2493.JPG DSCN3398.JPG
A little cool/unsettling to see first thing at work.
IMG_2509.JPG
Native so cal boa constrictor
IMG_2521.JPG
Faint swallow tail butterfly
IMG_2514.JPG
IMG_2520.JPG
that can't be a VOL its the wrong color..all the ones I see are a bright orange.... :)
 
Figured I'd share this.. Look at the size of this asterina!
b560483fc3b23aa17fe8af2c99829ad5.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new