will a mag be safe?

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting a mag. I have a couple juvi blue ring angels and a small copperband butterfly. After seeing what they do to an oyster or clam, I wonder if they would probably devour a mag anemone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see the recent issue of CORAL? Lots of great info on anemones. I avoid this species; they tend to travel all over the tank and usually die after a few months.
Jay

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get the CORALS article but could only see a screenshot type page-could not read it. But, I do know the mag's reputation. I think I have a good shot here.

Unless it seems certain that the angels and copperband will eat it. There won't be clowns at first to protect the mag.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get the CORALS article but could only see a screenshot type page-could not read it. But, I do know the mag's reputation. I think I have a good shot here.

Unless it seems certain that the angels and copperband will eat it. There won't be clowns at first to protect the mag.
I know raccoon butterflies will go after them, not sure about copper bands, but I doubt it. The annularis might be an issue when the grow. The reality is, please don’t underestimate how delicate these are - I’ve killed my share over the years, I won’t try them again. Joe Y. at the Long Island Aquarium has a great display of them.
Jay

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one for a few years .
They get huge !!!
mine was 26” across , but beautiful

they do travel so make sure all pumps are covered .

there are hard to keep butterflyfish that only eat anemones but I don’t think the blue ring angels are included in that class .

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful.
I have Regal angels, Flame angels, and CBB with mine and no problem. Lots of tangs too. Flat high surface rock, lots of light, lots of current and they stay put.
Don’t feed them unless you want them to grow.
D28C4A26-216B-4825-AB14-2CC81A8F149D.jpeg
0695D447-F19E-40D9-B21E-8F820C5CC263.jpeg

reefs4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with Orion. I've always had a mag and currently looking for a couple more now that I upgraded to a 300g.

I have a CBB, Regal, Majestic, Flame, Midnight, Eibli, Coral Beauty, Lamarck and Bellus. None of the above mentioned angels and butterfly have ever touched my mag. Personally, I'm sure you'll be safe.

In regards to walking, as Orion stated, as long as you have high light, flow and a flat rock, it should stay put.

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the flat rock in a big worn down coral head a little bigger than a volleyball, a lot of flow and a lot of light.
Now that I feel fairly confident the mag won't be eaten, I'm gonna go for it.
Thanks guys!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back