Will ecotech rail sit right on acrylic?

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey like the name of the poll said. I’m looking into buying a ecotech hms rail mount for my lights that I’m planning to put on a 72 inch acrylic tank. I noticed it said on the brs website it’s eurobrace compatible. But dose anyone know if it can grip and sit right on a acrylic tank with a flat acrylic top on the sides.
I’m planning to have a standard acrylic tank built were the only openings will be 2 big ports in the center, and a opening in the overflow. So the lights mounts can’t clamp just like on a eurobrace, and I can’t drill the ceiling in my apartment. So as I see it a mount like this is my only option unless I go diy. Any info would help, thanks in advance.

OP
OP
jskidds2294

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an image or diagram with the side of the tank?
So my tank will be 72x30x30 instead of 72x24x24, and the portholes will be larger, and acrylic slightly thicker. But this is the exact design I’m going for.
EE151CC6-826F-413D-A5D3-B3FF8232D5F6.jpeg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used a long rail kit on my 72" long eurobraced tank.
It did sit on the ends and I was able to create some end to end pressure when tightening the adjustment screws.
Even with the pressure, it will be steady and hold just fine, and you can still move the brackets to give you more room to get into the top of the tank. I did find it can still be tipped over with enough force. So, do it with a little caution.
What I really didn't like was the long rail ( 60") sagged in the middle.
I ended up screwing a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of angle iron down the middle of it which cured about 99% of the sag.

OP
OP
jskidds2294

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a long rail kit on my 72" long eurobraced tank.
It did sit on the ends and I was able to create some end to end pressure when tightening the adjustment screws.
Even with the pressure, it will be steady and hold just fine, and you can still move the brackets to give you more room to get into the top of the tank. I did find it can still be tipped over with enough force. So, do it with a little caution.
What I really didn't like was the long rail ( 60") sagged in the middle.
I ended up screwing a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of angle iron down the middle of it which cured about 99% of the sag.

Do you mind if I get a close up picture or two of the foot sitting on the tanks rim?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do you mind if I get a close up picture or two of the foot sitting on the tanks rim?
I don't have any pictures of that part and I switched out lights to the CoralCare gen 2 fixtures when they came out.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh ok then, thank you anyway.
It will sit on the flat top of a acrylic tank.
I used mine for several years. It can be adjusted so that it's tight, but it can still move, which is handy when you want better access into the tank.

Back