Will encrusting Montis take over?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ernie C
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ernie C

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2018
Messages
674
Reaction score
550
Location
Miami
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although mine started off as small frags, I’ve learned they are pretty tough. One came back from the dead, I mean it was completely gone, and the other just seems like it’s going to just bulldoze anything in its path? Should you avoid encrusting montis on your main rock work?
IMG_3933.JPG
IMG_3935.JPG
 
yes, monti are bulldozer. i had to remove monti to a new location.
 
Mount montipora on a growout rock or on a pillar so it can’t take over everything .
But sunset or super man montipora are my guess for best dominating montipora.
 
Mount montipora on a growout rock or on a pillar so it can’t take over everything .
But sunset or super man montipora are my guess for best dominating montipora.

So Superman and sunset are unstoppable?
 
Here's my Blueberry that I have isolated from my rock structure. If you have sand they will only grow on the rock you have them on. Otherwise it will grow on a bare bottom tank.
6441dd52db2b373addb028257927f168.jpg
 
Yes, I make sure to have "Monti Islands" meaning the encrusting montis are on separate rocks I can remove if they get out of control...
 
Ugh! Never a dull moment in this hobby. I have two on a massive rock that is half my tank. Always learning but usually a little too late. Lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new