• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFS here has a 180g display with a crack on one short panel from top to bottom. They put another piece of glass over it and siliconed it on and it has been holding for a long time.

I would at least put another panel of glass over the cracked parts but dang that is a large crack lol
Yes, but that's a 180G tank. Not a $20 ~10g tank.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell what size it is... I thought maybe a lowboy frag. Petco has their sale here..so 10g for 10 bucks till March 27th if that is the case.
Thanks for heads up i been waiting for that to get another 40B. Just looked it up though and they still call it a "dollar per gallon" sale but the thats not the actual price(unless a 40 breeder magically holds 50 gallons). Been a long time since i bought anything at petco when did that change?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for heads up i been waiting for that to get another 40B. Just looked it up though and they still call it a "dollar per gallon" sale but the thats not the actual price(unless a 40 breeder magically holds 50 gallons). Been a long time since i bought anything at petco when did that change?
Awhile ago... it’s 50 percent off which is still a dollar per gallon for small tanks I guess.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like 1x4's under it, so i'm estimating around 12" wide. Regardless... small tank like that, a pane of glass will cost you more than replacing the whole thing.
And not to mention, eliminate the risk!

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFS here has a 180g display with a crack on one short panel from top to bottom. They put another piece of glass over it and siliconed it on and it has been holding for a long time.

I would at least put another panel of glass over the cracked parts but dang that is a large crack lol
See exactly my point. Gotta have hope guys and I’ve got the camera ready gonna blow ur guys minds. Filling up all 50 gallons Thursday :) if I blow er back out I’ll just put a new pane of glass in. 4x2 is a common size I’d say, the tank is a 50 gal low boy ($150). I mean it’s worth a shot guys lol.

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just here to see the video... although I'm stubborn enough I'd probably try it too.
If it works, well for one that’s 1UP on everyone, and for two I’ve saved probably $120. Already drilled so we’ll see. Worse comes to worse it likely cracks more or busts and I replace the bottom pane anyway. Not a big deal lol

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter if it holds water or not. Two questions:

1) Will you sleep at night if this tank is filled with water or will you and family be worried about it?

2) How much damage will this tank cause your home if it leaks 2 months from now.

The answer to these 2 questions should determine whether you use this tank or not.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sump 30 gal long with a similar problem but not exactly like yours, I cracked it fiddling around with the connection (my bad) it has one crack similar to your small crack on the side not bottom.
I took two pieces of 1/4" plexi and siliconed the heck out of them, sandwiched the glass and used the bulkhead to secure both pieces of plexi.
It's been that way for 3 months no problem, I will replace it soon, but your load is on the bottom and that crack is much bigger. I would look to replace it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back