Will kalkwasser increase alkalinity or just maintain?

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tested my alkalinity and it was 6.9 and I would like to get it back up to around 10. I want to start dosing kalkwasser through my ATO to do this but dont know if this will increase my alkalinity or just keep it stable at where it is now. Does anyone have experience using kalkwasser to increase alkalinity?

OP
OP
S

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kalkwasser will raise your alakilinity, raise your ato water to slightly higher than you want your alkalinity to be, and it will start to come up as the tank gets topped off.
Okay awesome, the directions say to add a teaspoon per gallon of water. So should I up it a little bit if I want to raise my alk?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser (German for limewater) is calcium hydroxide dissolved in water. It will dose calcium and alkalinity. If what you dose is more than the tank's usage for Ca and/or alk, those values will rise.

1 or so teaspoons per gallon in a ATO is a reasonable place to start. Kalk is a bit of trial and error. I would test alk daily until you get the trend figured out.

In case you aren't aware, alk of 6.9 dKH is pretty close to natural seawater, where 10 would be pretty high...although some people keep it that high.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kalkwasser will raise your alakilinity, raise your ato water to slightly higher than you want your alkalinity to be, and it will start to come up as the tank gets topped off.

Not sure what that means.

Limewater (kalkwasser) will raise alk if you add more alk than the tank is using each day.

It has nothing to do with the alk in the top off being higher than the tank. Unless demand is super, super low, it will be far above the tank alk level.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s best to use a doseing pump to add measured amount of kalk .
yes it seams like it’s trouble and expensive but it isn’t. Jebao makes affordable doseing pumps and you simply add full strength kalk in as much as you want.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make up a bucket of full strength kalkwasser and use the doser pump to add however much you want through out the day .
The kalk lasts a long time if not disturbed and a lid on the container. 30 days or more .

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back