will my clowns eventually breed?

ScariestCobra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male naked triple dot ocellaris clown and a female snowflake ocellaris clown. They are both still pretty small, definitely not close to full grown size. But, will the eventually breed since they are both types of ocellaris?

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take both males 8 months from birth to sexually mature then about a year for one male to claim dominance and change sex then about another year to stabilize dimorphic hermaphrodism(get used to having lady parts) then they will select a territory within the tank, at this point it's good to have a rich microfaunapopulation,rotifers zoo phyto andthrow in some live brine shrimp and build up population so clowns can eat have some macro like gralacia and hyphnea and sea lettuce maybe some scrolls, you will notice your clown bulking up start giving them mysis shrimp dosed in selcon this seems to promote healthy cell growth and optimum fish health

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then add slate a jar a flower pot make a cave outta rocks anything to add privacy and security(you will see you clowns playing tag almost then they start to do a dance this is how you can tell when they're in the mood

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people even dial it in as far as raising humidity to replicate high vpd (rainstorms) and dial back the lights slowly to replicate change in season) and give a more moderate flow its all preference though you'll have to play around get you clowns eating good get params set and then a good rule of thumb is to only have the 2 clowns in the breeding tank it takes alot of research and adjustment to get it dialed in but once you get it right it can be easy the hard part is bringging the fry to adulthood in grow out tanks and keeping the water clean you'll lose about 10%of your clutch but only the strong survive just like anything

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is no telling other than compatability, water conditions and a zone in tank in which they take onto.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScariestCobra it is a labor of love and will take time and gentle care and preperation I believe whole hardly you can do it if Cubans can do it outside in the florida sun In sterlite tote on there patio stealing 4 5gal buckets of water a day for a water from the canal for a water change using dirty marine water you can do it successfully for sure

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male naked triple dot ocellaris clown and a female snowflake ocellaris clown. They are both still pretty small, definitely not close to full grown size. But, will the eventually breed since they are both types of ocellaris?
Also how are your clowns temperament is one bossy do one or both nip your fingers ,if you put them on the top of the water and agitate the surface. it can be a temperament thing too some clown just don get along and will bully but over time even the meanest clown can build a relationship if you're doing what you're supposed to do an practice good animal husbandry and propper maintenance in order to maintain stability

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When clowns become antsy or aggresive it's a sign of stress either physical chemical or environmental and the rule of deduction need to be applied and the problem corrected(food agression;feeding to little,territorial aggression;not enough space,or fluctuations in parameters will through off the natural balance an aquarium is supposed to have and cause your fish to act some type of way

OP
OP
S

ScariestCobra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When clowns become antsy or aggresive it's a sign of stress either physical chemical or environmental and the rule of deduction need to be applied and the problem corrected(food agression;feeding to little,territorial aggression;not enough space,or fluctuations in parameters will through off the natural balance an aquarium is supposed to have and cause your fish to act some type of way
It’s a 15g jbj. They have both been very active and happy since I put my corals in. Neither have been aggressive towards each other. The female did bite my finger while I was fixing the flow direction for my corals. They both seem to favor a little cave like part of a rock towards the back of the tank. The female hangs out there more than the male does. They are both babies. I’d say less than a year old probably. Captive bred from California.

Attachments

• 4D729B9B-77B6-4A17-B260-A73F16458B9B.jpeg
    4D729B9B-77B6-4A17-B260-A73F16458B9B.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0956.MOV
    8.1 MB
  • IMG_0914.MOV
    18.4 MB

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@
It’s a 15g jbj. They have both been very active and happy since I put my corals in. Neither have been aggressive towards each other. The female did bite my finger while I was fixing the flow direction for my corals. They both seem to favor a little cave like part of a rock towards the back of the tank. The female hangs out there more than the male does. They are both babies. I’d say less than a year old probably. Captive bred from California.
@ScariestCobra that's a good start they found a territory of the tank they like and are eating good,now it's just playing the waiting game and then providing optimum nutrition and environment, I would recommend selcon as a supplement to soak your frozen mysis shrimp in to give them in the coming months

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back