Will This HOB Refugium Work for my Tank?

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this small CPR HOB Refugium from Aquacave.

I had read awesome reviews about these guys and thought I'd try it out on my JBJ 45, but now reading I'm wondering if I got too small of a size?
My ultimate goal is to support a pod population for a possible Mandarin Goby in the future. I've been letting my tank mature and it's coming up on the one year mark, so I thought this might help. Secondary would be nutrient reduction with nitrates and phosphates.

I know HOB refugium aren't always ideal, but with AIO and sumpless tanks, I think they can be a good benefit.

Any thoughts on if this will work?

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess when you ask if it will work, to me it depends on what your goals are. Are you wanting just pods? Are you looking at it for biological filtration? How much live rock do you have in your tank? What are your parameters? What fish are you keeping

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess when you ask if it will work, to me it depends on what your goals are. Are you wanting just pods? Are you looking at it for biological filtration? How much live rock do you have in your tank? What are your parameters? What fish are you keeping
Mostly for pods, maybe some biological filtration. I have 40lbs of live rock in the tank. 2 clowns, a purple firefish, and a bicolor blenny.

I'll get you updated parameters tonight.

My question is I should have got one larger sizes? I was thinking smaller because my tank is smaller, but now I'm not sure.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its an overkill in my opinion. Just stick with the small. Remember you will have alot of light leakage into your room with the standard light or if you decide to purchase an upgraded light. The pump that it comes with is a rio and its not that good and IMO is way too loud.

I have a medium one for 55 gallon display. Gives a wonderful place for my pods and macro algae to thrive.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its an overkill in my opinion. Just stick with the small. Remember you will have alot of light leakage into your room with the standard light or if you decide to purchase an upgraded light. The pump that it comes with is a rio and its not that good and IMO is way too loud.

I have a medium one for 55 gallon display. Gives a wonderful place for my pods and macro algae to thrive.
Awesome, this is all good to know!

Any recommendations on a light? I was looking into an Innovative Marine ChaetoMax, Tunze 8831, or a Kessil H80. I'm open to other options though!

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the underwater application of the Tunze 8831 is your best bet. Keeps the light spillage into my sump area to a minimum. Good Luck!

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell a light specific for this refugium.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell a light specific for this refugium.

They do, I had read multiple reviews saying it wasn't that great for the price so I decided to pass.

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When it comes to the pump do you have a suggested replacement/upgraded pump ? @Fishy212

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back