Will this light be adequate for SPS corals

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I'm getting back to the salty hobby after a few years. The wife and I both agree that we want a SPS dominated tank this time around. I'd like opinions as to whether or not this light will be adequate for growth and brightly colored SPS corals.

The tank I have is a fluval edge M40. I'm using the light that came with the tank for now and don't mind it if it will give the results I desire. The specs on the light are here in the link. http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/pr...rum-performance-led-strip-light/#.XGDMu1xKiLA

I have one SPS frag in there now but it seems pretty brown and the polyps are not as extended as they were when first placed in the tank last week. I'm waiting on the test kits to tell me where the alk, mag, and Cal. levels are. So far my nitrates are 0 or just above. The tank also has a 7.5 gal refugium attached with Chaeto growing nicely in it.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not at all, they are more for soft corals. Save your money and spend it on a light that is best known to grow sticks.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
short answer... no.

in addition, it will be tough to get sps to thrive in a small tank if you are not used to giving them what they want.

no, not impossible by any means, but a little more difficult

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many to choose from, dont skimp on the lights if keeping acropora are in your future. I have Kessil160's and they are simple and work great, recently added a 360 in the center. They work well for my situation. A lot of options nowadays, hopefully some very knowledgeable light guys will chime in for what you need in your tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil 160 or two of what you have as well.

OP
OP
flat6guy

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is actually 23Wx16Tx16W. Not that this is a huge difference but the tank is 26 G with a 7 G refugium plumbed in. I appreciate all the quick responses on this. I'm really trying to weigh out my options as to whether or not this will be a success.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh my apologies. I googled m40 and that's what came up. It does make a difference though as the extra width can be hard for point source lighting

OP
OP
flat6guy

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the wife and I choose to go the colorful stick route, we know there are challenges and obviously some equipment to purchase. On the other hand I know the wife wants to see more than just tan, brown and green of a softy tank that we used to have. I've thought about doing a mushroom and LPS tank but again don't know if the light I currently have will be sufficient.

I did look at the lights above. BRS states that 250-350 par is adequate for a SPS dominant tank. Does anyone have opinions to this? If this is accurate then I my next logical purchase will be a par measurement device. Then I can make determinations as to what light will work and at what height above the tank.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back