Window Tint in Sump? Thoughts?

Grahamstyle77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I had a random thought about controlling algae in my sump with window tint. My Light over my refugium spills over to the other sections of the sump, it's a rather small sump, only 18x18 and the other sections are beginning to grow algae as well. Wouldn't be that big of a deal but I don't want it clogging up my return pumps, I notice a lot of the sumps I see online like trigger etc use tinted acrylic to help light seepage. Well I don't have the means to upgrade sumps so I'm thinking of using a small piece of window tinted acrylic on both left and right side of my sump to help keep the light from being so bright in the other sections. Obviously the tinted acrylic would be cut to be a bit below the chambers to the other sections. I tried searching to see if others have done this before but didn't really find anything. Is this something feasible? Any thoughts?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not. Window tint has a fine film of glue on it, what kind is anybody’s guess. Best bet would be to try a piece of opaque acrylic and attach it somehow.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not. Window tint has a fine film of glue on it, what kind is anybody’s guess. Best bet would be to try a piece of opaque acrylic and attach it somehow.
Window tint that I have used doesn't use glue. It sticks due to friction/static. The regular stuff needs to be applied using a spray bottle with soapy water which wouldn't work, but you can buy static cling stuff. That might work if you got the glass super clean first.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about this this on my diy sump.... then I just ended up buying black acrylic baffles. If you can take out the baffle and replace it with a black one that might just be the easiest route. It was for me :)

McPikie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back