Woke up to dead foxface.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eDNA testing is always an option. Won’t solve your current issue, but will at least tell you if anything is lurking in the tank. Aquabiomics offers this service. The service does take a while to get results. IME Foxface’s get stressed very easily. And stress can kill. Not saying that’s what’s happened. Could be a number of things. I would personally never trust anyone to quarantine besides myself. Not even reputable vendors that sell “quarantined fish”… Haha. Hope you get things figured out!

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eDNA testing is always an option. Won’t solve your current issue, but will at least tell you if anything is lurking in the tank. Aquabiomics offers this service. The service does take a while to get results. IME Foxface’s get stressed very easily. And stress can kill. Not saying that’s what’s happened. Could be a number of things. I would personally never trust anyone to quarantine besides myself. Not even reputable vendors that sell “quarantined fish”… Haha. Hope you get things figured out!
Just came back from the store. I bought everything I need to medicate and quarantine

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have more than likely figured out what happened. Last night when I installed the UV sterilizer, I turned off my skimmer. I also had to lower my turn over rate due to the fact that I had a UV sterilizer in there. Fighting Dino flagellants I had to slow it down so it could sterilize the algae. That's the issue lies, I forgot to turn the skimmer back on. So with the lower flow than usual, zero air being added into the tank, glass top lid,, and the fox face being in the damsels territory, it caused those two to fight and the fox face died of exhaustion and lack of air. I know this is my fault but can't really be taught this exact scenario so I see it as a lesson learned although I'm very upset for the loss of my fish I'll be much more careful in the future.

Fish are willingly.eating now too

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsel definitely seems to be breathing faster than it should.
I think I have more than likely figured out what happened. Last night when I installed the UV sterilizer, I turned off my skimmer. I also had to lower my turn over rate due to the fact that I had a UV sterilizer in there. Fighting Dino flagellants I had to slow it down so it could sterilize the algae. That's the issue lies, I forgot to turn the skimmer back on. So with the lower flow than usual, zero air being added into the tank, glass top lid,, and the fox face being in the damsels territory, it caused those two to fight and the fox face died of exhaustion and lack of air. I know this is my fault but can't really be taught this exact scenario so I see it as a lesson learned although I'm very upset for the loss of my fish I'll be much more careful in the future.

Fish are also willingly eating

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your system is infected, sure, velvet kills the fastest, maybe 24 hours or so, ick much slower but still ends up in death.

Fish are willingly eating now too

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eating is really serious. Can you post a video of those fish so I can judge their respiration rates?

Jay

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dislike clownfish. They are NOT peaceful fish. Just check on reef2reef about fish attacking hands and causing wounds. The "peaceful" clownfish is identified about 50% of the time for doing it.
My clowns are extremely peaceful and will eat from my hands gently, I know some are jerkoffs though

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lesson learned.
Could have been much worse.
Glad you resolved.
Yeah, it's sad. I'm not afraid to admit I cried, I love the little things. A life in my hand that I feel I failed at. But from now on, I will do it right perfectly.

I spent $150 on my quarantine tank, it's currently cycling in my closet now.

I refuse to let this stop me. I go to school for marine biology and I love fish. And most importantly I love my animals.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll go through that “bad” feeling many times over the course of this hobby, but, it’s usually balanced with great successes.

Good luck

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll go through that “bad” feeling many times over the course of this hobby, but, it’s usually balanced with great successes.

Good luck
Thank you, and thank you for the quick responses, it helped me through all of this, this morning, you along with a few others.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That does sound plausible....

Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back