Wolf-Head Mountain Reef Tank- 200 gallons

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next thing I did was take care of the plumbing : )

I wanted this to be easy to take care off. 5 gallon buckets gets old! (Yes, I’m lazy). You can kinna see the reverse osmosis system in the pics too : ) automated top offs (did I mention I’m lazy?)

the sheet rock has now been repaired and painted. You cannot tell I did anything to those walls now.

7D9A50BE-337A-4F68-A877-0D151E891F88.jpeg
F0A0E9DF-1205-4175-B9F4-0825E7DC75ED.jpeg
Did the same thing with my RODI

Watching

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is buying you metal halides, I won’t stop you! I might be biased that way, though...
I’m safe lol... I swear, it doesn’t matter what I want to buy... they are always out of everything. Lol

I think I decided against MH Bruh... my canopy... my LEDs are already 9” off the water. Most MHs I’ve seen are at least 5” thick... I dunno...

here is what I have been looking at.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be really against LED lights. They didn’t impress me when they first came out. I also looked at doing my own, until I realized I would only get about a 10-20% energy savings if I bought my own 50 watt diodes. But LED’s have come a long way, and if I was getting into the hobby now, I’d probably do a T5-LED combo, heavy on the T5. Seems like the best of both worlds. But holy cow, that price. For less than half that, you could get halide bulbs, ballasts and reflectors. Keep an eye on the used section, and it’s even cheaper. And you are sacrificing nothing in terms of quality. No fancy app, no need for a PAR meter (sorry!), they just work. But it’s your tank, and you have to do what you feel is best.

I hope the scotch chooses wisely!

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be really against LED lights. They didn’t impress me when they first came out. I also looked at doing my own, until I realized I would only get about a 10-20% energy savings if I bought my own 50 watt diodes. But LED’s have come a long way, and if I was getting into the hobby now, I’d probably do a T5-LED combo, heavy on the T5. Seems like the best of both worlds. But holy cow, that price. For less than half that, you could get halide bulbs, ballasts and reflectors. Keep an eye on the used section, and it’s even cheaper. And you are sacrificing nothing in terms of quality. No fancy app, no need for a PAR meter (sorry!), they just work. But it’s your tank, and you have to do what you feel is best.

I hope the scotch chooses wisely!
Lol... the scotch can only find “zero quantity on hand” ... “notify me when in stock?”

I have waffled on that price : ] ....there is one thing I can’t get past... that whole thing is only one plug in.

I did buy a PAR meter : ) A light system with an adjustable yield and quality equipment, you should be able to grow anything right?

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... the scotch can only find “zero quantity on hand” ... “notify me when in stock?”

I have waffled on that price : ] ....there is one thing I can’t get past... that whole thing is only one plug in.

I did buy a PAR meter : ) A light system with an adjustable yield and quality equipment, you should be able to grow anything right?
The other thing I am waffling on with that set up is this... I don’t know if I can control the left side and right independently. With five or six separate light... I could have a PAR at sand level on the left side of 90 and on the right ride... 220... supporting 2 different species equally... I dunno... still working out what I want... tooooooooo many choices!

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what’s your PAR results? How bad / good is your current lighting?
Yeah.... they were bad! Okay, so... it is still a tank full of softies and they all seemed nice and healthy the way I had the lights. I really was running a very reduce lighting schedule. ......but, I wasn’t even getting 40 on the sand : ( the very tops of my highest softies was running a little below 190. I did bump up my lighting a little... planning on bumping it up a little more each week.

I get my new T5 fixture this weekend : ) Almost there!

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY! I got my light installed today. ....very happy it is done! Too tired to take new PAR measurements. I kind of need to wait until tomorrow when my LEDs are at their max value in their cycle. It looks like it has always been there!!! : ) I had to partialy disassemble the fixture so that I could drill holes in the top. It’s a fairly heavy fixture I wanted to be able to use nuts and bolts to carry the weight. I mounted two pieces of steel square tubing to the top of the light fixture and then bolted that thru the top of the canopy. It should be very stable.

AquaticLife 61" T5HO X18 Hybrid NON-Dimmable Fixture

2A7F74D3-3889-4CC7-853E-805DCDB7EB32.jpeg
12405D84-D400-4A42-BDA9-ED156F99CCF0.jpeg
C06ED4D3-60F8-4F7E-B4AC-E88F40C508E6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boom, another DIY project complete! : ) This was easier to install than I thought it would be.

(I still have to figure out the auto shut off float system for the barrel) It doesn’t look that hard.

7522D201-092F-4917-8324-DF59A1D07992.jpeg
4CF75D73-B725-4FB5-8B47-41F8150F0FD3.jpeg

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so first I gotta say this... there was no scotch involved in this decision. I just bought 3 Hydra 64’s to complete my lighting. I am replacing the 2 Hydra 32s and the 1 Hydra 26. They will be here in a few days!

(even better) I think I just fixed my flow issues as well. I’ll be ready for SPS in 2 weeks... max!

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked it better when the scotch almost talked you into halides!

What was your flow issue?
I have three power heads in my tank right now... they move the water, just not enough. My return pump is strong enough. It is a 1,260 gph There are too many places in my tank where I can see suspended particles hanging in the water.... but not really moving thru the water.

I did almost buy those MH’s! Truth is, I couldn’t handle the heat with a canopy.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back