World's Smallest Successful Frag?

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by Dana Riddle, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle Well-Known Member Staff Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor Article Contributor

I purchased a Montipora frag about a week ago for the lab's tank. It was snapped off the parent colony for me, and when I arrived home I glued it to a plug. There was a tiny (1mm x 1mm) piece of the coral hanging on by tissue and I removed it before gluing. Not wanting to toss the tiny bit, I thought what the heck I'll glue it down too (thinking there wasn't a chance that it would make it.) Now, a week later, it has sprouted 4 polyps and is about 1mm x 2mm. Does anyone have a story of a smaller frag surviving? Pictures, or it didn't happen. ;)
    upload_2017-11-9_17-28-28.png

saltyfilmfolks, TMB, drawman and 4 others like this.
    Tags:

2. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I have a reverse superman montipora that a friend wanted for his tank, so I chipped off a tiny piece, it couldn't be no bigger than a pencil eraser, now it's completely covered the plug and is entrusting over his rockwork. It didnt happen though as I don't have any pictures of it.:( Just wanted to share:)

Dana Riddle and Dsnakes like this.
  3. tdileo

tdileo Well-Known Member

I don’t have any pictures but I have heard about people having acros grow back from a single corallite. I have a monti cap in my tank that bleached out and died completely and there is only a spot less than 1mm with color left. I don’t have a fancy camera so don’t think a picture will come out but I can try.

Dana Riddle and crabs_mcjones like this.
  4. Bubs2

Bubs2 Well-Known Member

I had a bluebetry fields acro that snapped off a tiny piece of polyp from in the cup when i bought it, the piece was a smaller than a grain of rice, i glued it down and like 7 months later sold it for 50 dollars

Zack Klabunde and Dana Riddle like this.
  5. CalhounM

CalhounM Member

846013FC-A9ED-4D50-9C2A-28F8FD7EB0DE.jpeg
    This pocilipora hitchhiked on a acan frag I bought. Had to remove the acan off the plug after 5 months. The pocilipora grew into a small colony and begun stinging the acan

Dana Riddle and Dsnakes like this.
  6. Newb73

Newb73 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

This little guy grew from a tiny piece that fell in a hole on a rock.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad PMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

Coral Maternity - Making a coral frag from a single poly

It's acro frags from single coralites.

8. Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle Well-Known Member Staff Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor Article Contributor

Interesting! The frags in the videos are quite a bit larger than the Monti frag I began with. Thanks for sharing!

JaimeAdams likes this.
  9. madweazl

madweazl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

This one was literally dead, no visible tissue left at all (obviously there was something) that I could see. Being lazy, I left the dead skeleton and low and behold, it had come back and re-encrusted from near the top (right branch), downward, and then started to spread out rapidly (considerably larger now).

[​IMG]

DeniseAndy and Dana Riddle like this.
  10. alten78

alten78 Well-Known Member

I had the single polyp tip of a pink lemonade break off and for fun I glued down to see if it would survive. It took some time but encrusted quite a bit before it finally started to branch...then my frogspawn fell onto it killing the vast majority just recently. Hopefully it bounces back again so if it does I am definitely holding onto it if only for some sort of cheesy inspiration lol.

Ty Hamatake and Dana Riddle like this.
  11. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Cool video!

12. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Dana very cool and can't wait to see what becomes of it! It's VERY hard for me to throw anything away.

TonapahNorth and Dana Riddle like this.
  13. Steve Ruddy

Steve Ruddy Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Nice job!!! You have me beat, I may have done a few 2 x that big.

14. Dana Riddle

That's a complement, coming from you Steve!

Steve Ruddy likes this.
  15. Salty1962

Salty1962 Wrasse and SPS Lover R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Here is a sliver I got from ReefPets as a challenge, it's about 5x as large know and almost fully encrusted. I'll have to get an updated pic later.

Sliver.jpg

Logan27, TMB and Dana Riddle like this.
  16. Peanut

Peanut Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I have experimented with trying to see how small of a piece I can start with to grow something out. The answer is VERY. In some cases you can start with something about the size of the tip of a pencil without a problem.

Bunnee911 and Dana Riddle like this.
  17. Dana Riddle

When I was running a commercial coral farm (Aquatic Wildlife in Cleveland, TN) back in the late 90's, I tried to make frags 1/4" or larger since I found the survival rates were less when made smaller. I think flow made the difference in this case.

18. Solace87

Solace87 New Member

It's sad, but at least where I live you would get laughed at calling that a small frag, at a swap. Just snapped a crummy cell phone picture of this monti, and this is after about 2 weeks, it was noticeably smaller at purchase.

20171110_191604.jpg

Dana Riddle, saltyfilmfolks and TMB like this.
  19. Reefguy420

Reefguy420 Well-Known Member

This is the smallest frag I've ever taken it's 1/8th of a inch tall I took it as a joke at first so I could say I have 2 Walt Disney frags lol still alive and started to grow a little 20170915_134709.jpg

Dana Riddle and TMB like this.
  20. csb123

csb123 Well-Known Member

I recommend we scuttle this thread...so coral vendors don’t get any ideas. I find the whole “1 inch Frag” thing so irritating.

Draft saved Draft deleted