OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a spec of dust once from Tyree that literally was one-half of a polyp from an encrusting base and about 2mm by 2mm - not even a branch and it was cut in the middle of the polyp. I was disgusted and horrified, but that is kinda the way that he went when he was going down. He refunded me, but the coral did live, but probably took 24 months to be 5mm x 5mm and then it took off a bit from there. It was probable three years before it could leave the frag tank.
And you thought 'Limited Edition' referred to quantity, not size. ;Smuggrin

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I've got another one.
IMG_0554.JPG

Then.
IMG_0555.JPG

Just now.
IMG_0556.JPG
That's very interesting. When I was at Wildlife, I had to develop fragging techniques for many species. Did some work with Bubble corals with disappointing results. They survived, but exposed, bare septa would always grow algae. Congrats!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very interesting. When I was at Wildlife, I had to develop fragging techniques for many species. Did some work with Bubble corals with disappointing results. They survived, but exposed, bare septa would always grow algae. Congrats!
Haha. Kinda doesn't make me feel better. I'm going to have to frag this one soon:eek:
Basically I just nursed this lil baby a long and did most of the work.

One thing that she's some light on the biology of fragging and reproduction was Sandy Troutweins talk at last years macna. There's much deeper details af course but the short of it was chemical signals sensed by the organisism. So since then I use seasond plugs and rock to frag and make sure the frag is in or touching the rock , not just the glue.

My bubble there is actually still on the chip you see there in the baby picture.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when the only Red Dragon frags were available from CITR I purchased one at the then unheard of price of $200. After it started growing, I accidentally broke the growing tip off. It was 1/8 inch and just the single polyp on the end. I grew it into my first frag of Dragon - gave it to a friend.

Hagios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has taken about a year to grow this much of a WD from a single polyp. Wish I had a pic of when it was started. A small tip had broken off a frag for a friend. I almost just left it in the rubble, but decided to whip out some superglue and plant it, an see what would happen. within a few days it had already spread to two polyps.

WD from 1 polyp.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back