Worm..i think fire or bristle

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing my week water change today and while i was stirring my sand bed around i happened to catch a glimpse of what i thought was a worm or maybe a piece of fish poop. I happened to catch it in a container before it was buried again in sand, and it was a worm. I don't know what kind, though I believe it is a bristle or fire worm. How do I know if I have more and how do I get rid of them? 20190205_184237.jpg 20190205_184245.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can be sure you have more; some good YouTube videos on building a bristleworm trap. Here's an interesting one:

Not sure you want to get rid of them; they add diversity and are good members of CUC IMHO. The amount of excess food/detritus in you tank is a limiting factor for their reproduction.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can be sure you have more; some good YouTube videos on building a bristleworm trap. Here's an interesting one:

Not sure you want to get rid of them; they add diversity and are good members of CUC IMHO. The amount of excess food/detritus in you tank is a limiting factor for their reproduction.

I know they can be good, though I thought large ones can be bad? and i'll keep that trap in mind if i see any large ones

Looks like a bristle worm to me.

And I would be happy to find one, wouldn't worry about others

Thanks, I rather it be a bristle worm rather than something truly destructive.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I'm taking a guess i should put it back in my tank and let it go do its job
You have others, that one is big lol. If you already got it out I’d just keep it out.. but that’s just because I find them spooky

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be worried about any sand sleeping fish, wrasses or gobies?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be worried at all. Bristleworms are scavengers and detrivores, not fish killers. FWIW, that video of the infestation tells me the tank was over fed, and will take time to even get like that and is an anomaly. I would not worry the slightest about bristle worms. There food source will determine the numbers.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they're safe and even good but I still instinctively want to kill them with fire.
I can't abide suddenly seeing them all pink, furry and writhing, not to mention sneaky, so I admit that I have removed them before.
One tank though now has a large melanurus wrasse so any bristle worms that would dare show themselves in the daylight would be toast. :)

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be worried at all. Bristleworms are scavengers and detrivores, not fish killers. FWIW, that video of the infestation tells me the tank was over fed, and will take time to even get like that and is an anomaly. I would not worry the slightest about bristle worms. There food source will determine the numbers.

Thank you, was looking at getting a black leopard wrasse and wanted to make sure it would be safe (as long as its well fed)

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they're safe and even good but I still instinctively want to kill them with fire.
I can't abide suddenly seeing them all pink, furry and writhing, not to mention sneaky, so I admit that I have removed them before.
One tank though now has a large melanurus wrasse so any bristle worms that would dare show themselves in the daylight would be toast. :)
Haha I’m the same way, I’m actually in the process of removing them by Net now, just browsing related threads to pass the time while the scared ones come back out

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back