Worm ID needed

acropora123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these worms in high concentrations in my coral tanks - not sure what they could be and need an ID! Thanks!

Not sure if it’s a type of flatworm? Finding them on tank sides and other surfaces but they don’t seem to be on the corals. They move quickly as well - hopefully the attached video works!

28D77556-BFEF-42D1-B2CD-3888E5048772.png 72D7B6BD-2B55-49B7-9FBF-E2CBF88F7B3B.png ABC15422-4D49-48BD-9486-F9E746183361.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    18.1 MB
OP
OP
A

acropora123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is a flatworm. You will still want to remove them. Which species is difficult to say. But, I wager on planarian flatworm.
Thanks for the response! What’s interesting is that under the scope it doesn’t look like the ocelli are present - or at least they don’t stand out to me like they do in flatworm photos I’m looking at online.

OP
OP
A

acropora123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't identify for sure, but you could look up information about Acoel flatworms to see if you have a match.
Awesome - this helps a lot! I'm seeing photos which look very similar to the flatworms I have in my tanks. Seems like their diet consists of detritus, algae and copepods - so may not be a massive issue for my coral tanks? What would be your advice?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome - this helps a lot! I'm seeing photos which look very similar to the flatworms I have in my tanks. Seems like their diet consists of detritus, algae and copepods - so may not be a massive issue for my coral tanks? What would be your advice?
I don't know much about them other than a bit of reading about them during my general research about marine aquariums.
From what I remember, they are typically less of a concern than the red planarian flatworms that smother and consume corals.

You'll have to do your own research on them and/or await an answer from someone with more experience than I have to answer your question.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a fast mover.
I just recently got some tiny, transparent flatworms on the glass and they barely move (visually).

Mine haven't seemed to bother my zoas (yet) ... knock on wood.

Good luck,,, following...

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back