Worried about small yasha goby

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks, a 10g and 20 gallon, the 10 gallon is set for dwarf seahorse environment yet I don’t have any at the moment, while the 20 gallon is my main display having two clowns and a fairy wrasse

I recently bought a small Yasha goby, he is currently in the 10g inside a small container to monitor him, i have a diy net which is basically a mesh with clippers holding it, he is what I want to say heavy breathing? I’m not too sure since I’ve never kept gobys this small, there is a lot of macro algae (caulepra) everywhere so I’m a bit worried if I let it go from the container it will disappear and will not be able to feed it or something of the like.

The only reason why I didn’t put him in the 20g was because there’s a pistol shrimp that I planned on having them pair but he’s three times bigger than the goby and I’m afraid he might eat it or kill it so I’m not sure, there’s also a frostbite clown that chases the wrasse from time to time but there’s no real damage to the wrasse, my lfs said that he should be fine with them and I think that too but I want the goby to get a little bigger before adding him.

I would love to quarantine but I don’t have the space right now so I put him in the 10g for now. I might be over thinking things but what should I do? Should I release him into the 10g? Would he disappear ? Or the 20g with the pistol? I plan on preparing bbs right now in case he doesn’t eat
(Sorry for the glare)

image.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty shy fish and very possible he will disappear for awhile. I didn’t see mine for weeks and finally found what rock he was hiding in so I would squirt mysis into it. I did see him more often over time.

At the same time it’s probably very stressful for him to live in that cup without a hiding spot. It looks like you probably have pods and things to forage on.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty shy fish and very possible he will disappear for awhile. I didn’t see mine for weeks and finally found what rock he was hiding in so I would squirt mysis into it. I did see him more often over time.

At the same time it’s probably very stressful for him to live in that cup without a hiding spot. It looks like you probably have pods and things to forage on.
Yeah I’ve been hearing they are really shy but that’s also a reason why I wanted to have them. I have tons of copepods since it was never inhabited by anything in the first place just afraid he might go into the overflow or get eaten by a crab but I think I got all of them out.

I’ve decided that I’m going to release him since keeping him in the jar is probably making him stressed out but I will wanna know what I can do to stop the stress

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back