Worst shape anemone that survived?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about 99.9% certain my magnifica anemone is going to die. It’s been in cipro treatment for 7 days and has continued to go downhill. Kinda bummed. Anyone have some unbelievable anemone survival stories to cheer me up? Post pics if you’ve got them. Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about 99.9% certain my magnifica anemone is going to die. It’s been in cipro treatment for 7 days and has continued to go downhill. Kinda bummed. Anyone have some unbelievable anemone survival stories to cheer me up? Post pics if you’ve got them. Thanks!
@F i s h y @Eagle_Steve @OrionN

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How're you doing your cipro treatment?

You should do a 100% Water Change every morning.

Apply mostly white lighting, but don't blast it.

At night right when lights go out, dose the cipro. I've found if you can grind it into a fine powder and mix it with RODI first, I just pour it into the return pump chamber it works good to actually get into the water column.

Light will render the cipro in-effective rather rapidly. Therefore basically cancelling out the treatment. Thus doing it at lights out.

Then in the morning do another 100% Water Change.

I had a 5G Nano tank that helped with this.

You could pick up a 5G tank with just a power head and probably be okay. But that way you can do WC's 100% everyday.

This is all summarized info from @OrionN and @Eagle_Steve .

If that's how you're doing the treatment then sometimes it can't be saved. But photos always help.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i did exactly that my nem went through these stages.

Unfortunately, I did it for 7 days, and I think I should've just kept it going for a full 10, and then left him in clean QT tank for another 2-3 weeks.

But I just got happy at the 1st second he looked better and threw him back in my tank (wrong move). and then he rapidly continued his decline.

I should've kept nursing him.

Before treatment.

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0219.jpeg

during treatment

IMG_0247.jpeg

basically the last day of treatment right when he started getting better :-(.

I should've stayed the course. that was my mistake.

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At night right when lights go out, dose the cipro. I've found if you can grind it into a fine powder and mix it with RODI first, I just pour it into the return pump chamber it works good to actually get into the water column.

Light will render the cipro in-effective rather rapidly. Therefore basically cancelling out the treatment. Thus doing it at lights out.

You could pick up a 5G tank with just a power head and probably be okay. But that way you can do WC's 100% everyday.

If that's how you're doing the treatment then sometimes it can't be saved. But photos always help.
I’m following the protocol outlined by Orion to the letter. Water changes every 12-24 hrs depending on water conditions.

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i did exactly that my nem went through these stages.

Unfortunately, I did it for 7 days, and I think I should've just kept it going for a full 10, and then left him in clean QT tank for another 2-3 weeks.

But I just got happy at the 1st second he looked better and threw him back in my tank (wrong move). and then he rapidly continued his decline.

I should've kept nursing him.

Before treatment.

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0219.jpeg

during treatment

IMG_0247.jpeg

basically the last day of treatment right when he started getting better :-(.

I should've stayed the course. that was my mistake.
So it sounds like it didn’t make it?

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m hesitant to post pics cause I’m pretty sure everyone will say there’s zero chance it survives. Denial can be a nice temporary state of being lol

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the advice and desire to try to help from everyone, but I’m following the posted protocol already. I’m really just looking for experiences anyone might have of anemones recovering after near death experiences. My mag isn’t dead yet, but I can’t imagine it could come back from the shape it’s currently in. Thanks :)

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the advice and desire to try to help from everyone, but I’m following the posted protocol already. I’m really just looking for experiences anyone might have of anemones recovering after near death experiences. My mag isn’t dead yet, but I can’t imagine it could come back from the shape it’s currently in. Thanks :)
If you are getting even the slightest bit of attachment at the foot, there's still hope. Once you lose that completely it's close to game over. Hopefully that is good news?

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting even the slightest bit of attachment at the foot, there's still hope. Once you lose that completely it's close to game over. Hopefully that is good news?
Sadly it definitely died

ajxackt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have some unbelievable anemone survival stories to cheer me up? Post pics if you’ve got them. Thanks!

I dont have the pictures anymore, but I do have a couple nem stories.

Preface; I work for a pet store in aquatics, so I see a lot of not so great nems coming in from vendors and some that came in okay, but then the forces of whatever anemone devil exists told it to do something terrible. Some make it, some I thought would be fine weren't, but you get the point. Here are 2 of my moat crazy stories.

Nem 1; Haitian
Got a pink tipped condy in. Gorgeous color, full body, attached immediately and ate literally anything I fed it. Then I came into work a weekish later and it was trying to escape through a small grate that lead to the sump tubing. I had to literally cut this thing out of the grate because it had shoved half its foot through the tiny slit and couldnt get free.
Despite it taking over a week to attach to anything again and that part of the foot falling off, it lived! And its in a customer's tank who has everything covered in fine mesh since he knows this nem's track record.

Nem 2; Bubble

Got a green bta in. It wasn't looking amazing, but it would bloom and let clowns host in it.
Well, the light fixture ended up in the tank overnight (still no idea how), and squished it. I thought it was a goner or at least there was nothing I could do to help it. So, I left it in the dark tank and would remove it when it did die.
Despite losing half its tentacles in the accident and living in darkness, it bloomed every morning when the store lights turned on. I hand fed that nem every day until someone came to fix the lights.
It hated the reacclimation to bright light, but it was sold to someone with a bta garden and its really grown into a beauty.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to a success story i had this last year with a CSB BTA.

I need to add an update picture. the CSB now is 6-8" across and looking beautiful!

Ive also lost some through treatment too. Hang in there and dont beat yourself up.

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have the pictures anymore, but I do have a couple nem stories.

Preface; I work for a pet store in aquatics, so I see a lot of not so great nems coming in from vendors and some that came in okay, but then the forces of whatever anemone devil exists told it to do something terrible. Some make it, some I thought would be fine weren't, but you get the point. Here are 2 of my moat crazy stories.

Nem 1; Haitian
Got a pink tipped condy in. Gorgeous color, full body, attached immediately and ate literally anything I fed it. Then I came into work a weekish later and it was trying to escape through a small grate that lead to the sump tubing. I had to literally cut this thing out of the grate because it had shoved half its foot through the tiny slit and couldnt get free.
Despite it taking over a week to attach to anything again and that part of the foot falling off, it lived! And its in a customer's tank who has everything covered in fine mesh since he knows this nem's track record.

Nem 2; Bubble

Got a green bta in. It wasn't looking amazing, but it would bloom and let clowns host in it.
Well, the light fixture ended up in the tank overnight (still no idea how), and squished it. I thought it was a goner or at least there was nothing I could do to help it. So, I left it in the dark tank and would remove it when it did die.
Despite losing half its tentacles in the accident and living in darkness, it bloomed every morning when the store lights turned on. I hand fed that nem every day until someone came to fix the lights.
It hated the reacclimation to bright light, but it was sold to someone with a bta garden and its really grown into a beauty.
Wow! They can be tough creatures. Thanks for the stories :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back