Would a BTA be happy in my setup?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I’ve a question for you gurus here.
So a little about my setup:
Tank is a 70.2 waterbox reef system. The dimensions are 24x24x21~ We know that’s not exact and that’s ok. My like is the Current USA IC Loop pro (Boo, hiss, I hear it already) I personally love my light setup. I chose this one for a couple reasons. Anyhow, from my sand(the most shallow part) to the light is 21 and a half inches. On their site they state the par is 100 to 70 from 21 to 24 inches. I’ve read they are quite accurate. I’ve also read that anemones like 100 to 200 PAR. So I know at the substrate it would be the absolute minimum.

Now, yesterday I read something that was linkedfrom 3Reef(I think?) that they like natural sunlight too. Well that’s cool cause my tank is located right by my window! Ok so that being said, the tank gets the morning sunlight.They see the sunrise every morning. I have trees so it’s not exactly direct. But it’s still there and does make a huge difference when I pull my curtains back in the morning. Also I have my light set to random clouds at 10%

So my questions are:
Would the sunlight with my light be enough light to sustain the anemone.
Would the lack of constant direct sunlight cause it to be on the move constantly?
Would the weather cause it to get angry?since it does change the intensity throughout the day

I don’t want to supplement anyT5 lights. Also note: I’m not ready for one yet, my tank was setup in September and is still in the ugly stages.
If a BTA wouldn’t thrive in here, what about another type of nem? Any that would host my bratty clowns? I already know some of the concerns: Window = algae. Sure but I can deal with that. I’m sure once the system is balanced it’ll even out. Also temp differences. No problems. My tank stays 81 now, and even in the summer since it’s morning sun and filtered through trees it doesn’t effect the temp but maybe a degree or two.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant answer all your questions but i can tell you that i believe your light is enough. My story: my first tank several years ago i had a cheap Marineland LEd Reef light on my tank which everyone told me it was junk and will not grow corals and not be enough for a BTA . Well, I did get one and it grew 4 times the size in one year and maintained big beautiful bubbles Even my clowns hosted it. . all LPS tripled in size (no SPS though)t. I would believe the sunlight could only help! Just my 2 cents

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that any self-respecting bubble tip is going to wander the tank until it finds a spot it is happy with, so your par measurements should be considered higher up in the tank as well (depending how high your rock work is). It will probably meet the PAR needs without a problem (though you can check the vendor charts to verify measurements at shorter depths/distances).

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back