Would you want a GIANT 2 foot by 2 foot clam? Check this baby out!

Would you want a GIANT clam in your reef? Check this baby out!

• YES, I would love to have one!

Votes: 314 41.6%
  • NO not my thing!

Votes: 237 31.4%
  • YES, but don't have a big enough tank!

Votes: 204 27.0%

• Total voters

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just past the 11 year mark with mine. It has been a neat experience, but one that I will probably never do again. It severely limits your system. Even with 3 tanks plumbed together at over 500 gallons, it will strip your tank of essential trace elements, NO3, and PO4. Then there is the massive spawns for days at a time....
20190405_162937.jpg

20190218_184824.jpg

That is so cool, but yet frightening at the same time. Thanks for sharing

Denver_Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Gigas Josh! Do you have it sitting directly on the bottom, or is it on a piece of acrylic?
. It is on the bottom, which is acrylic - AGE hybrid tank. I’m moving to the Dallas area in a few months and it will be going in to a bigger tank. Current tank is 66”x48”x29”. The plan is to get something at least 36” tall. Minimum depth front to back needs to be 36” as well. Not looking forward to moving it though...
This is the same clam that is pictured at the start of the post for everyone else. Troy- looks like there will be another Gigas in Texas soon!

To answer a few other questions... when my calcium reactor was down I was adding around 400ml alkalinity and 600ml calcium daily (total tank). It can move about a half gallon of water out of the tank when it closes quickly, and fried an mp60 one time that it did this which is why I have a cover over the clam. I’ve only had this clam about a year, and it is 14 years old. It is about 29” long, but it seems to be getting wider and wider by the day.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just past the 11 year mark with mine. It has been a neat experience, but one that I will probably never do again. It severely limits your system. Even with 3 tanks plumbed together at over 500 gallons, it will strip your tank of essential trace elements, NO3, and PO4. Then there is the massive spawns for days at a time....
20190405_162937.jpg

20190218_184824.jpg

I'm always fascinated by your setup. Simply stunning

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. It is on the bottom, which is acrylic - AGE hybrid tank. I’m moving to the Dallas area in a few months and it will be going in to a bigger tank. Current tank is 66”x48”x29”. The plan is to get something at least 36” tall. Minimum depth front to back needs to be 36” as well. Not looking forward to moving it though...
This is the same clam that is pictured at the start of the post for everyone else. Troy- looks like there will be another Gigas in Texas soon!

To answer a few other questions... when my calcium reactor was down I was adding around 400ml alkalinity and 600ml calcium daily (total tank). It can move about a half gallon of water out of the tank when it closes quickly, and fried an mp60 one time that it did this which is why I have a cover over the clam. I’ve only had this clam about a year, and it is 14 years old. It is about 29” long, but it seems to be getting wider and wider by the day.

Welcome to Texas! Where things really are bigger. Even clams

I do not envy the move you will have ahead of you. I moved from one room to another and that was a project. It is smart to move to a new system, and not reuse the old tank. Hopefully you can set it up ahead of time to facilitate the cycle. BTW automotive cargo nets work well for securing the clam while lifting. I have heard of clams being dropped and killed during this process. That shell is sharp so be careful.
The cargo net was a God send.

Last edited:

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Troy V and other owners of long lived and giant clams. Beautiful systems and husbandry skills to match. It really shows what people do in order to care for such animals while showing the long term needs of them.

Thank you for your kind words!

Once you are bitten by the saltwater bug, it quickly infects!

Denver_Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Texas! Where things really are bigger. Even clams

I do not envy the move you will have ahead of you. I moved from one room to another and that was a project. It is smart to move to a new system, and not reuse the old tank. Hopefully you can set it up ahead of time to facilitate the cycle. BTW automotive cargo nets work well for securing the clam while lifting. I have heard of clams being dropped and killed during this process. That shell is sharp so be careful.
The cargo net was a God send.

The tank will be moved into a friends 500 for about 3-6 months, just depends on how long it takes to get the tank cycled and stable enough for the move. I am not looking forward to it either...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back