Would you want a GIANT 2 foot by 2 foot clam? Check this baby out!

Would you want a GIANT clam in your reef? Check this baby out!

• YES, I would love to have one!

Votes: 314 41.6%
  • NO not my thing!

Votes: 237 31.4%
  • YES, but don't have a big enough tank!

Votes: 204 27.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally love clams and would really like to own a large one but this one is on a different level! I believe this one sold a few years back so I'm sure it's much bigger now!

At the time the owner said it was "24x24x14 fully opened."

Would you like to have a giant clam in your reef tank?

IMG_5561_zps8c376013.jpg

IMG_5557_zps3ee3f243.jpg

IMG_5551_zps84a0bb4f.jpg

images via @ddiver

U

User1

View Badges
I cannot for the life of me remember who here or maybe on another forum has a similar if not older and larger clam. As with this it is the center piece of the display and as force tank upgrades over the years for that very reason.

Every time I consider a clam I go back to his thread to remind me they are a long term commitment more so than fish or other corals. You need to have a back up plan and instructions in place in case something happens so it is properly taken care of if such an event requires. Of course I understand not all clams get like this but it does make you go hmm....

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of calcium that thing takes up has to be insane.

WOW!
Yea same thought I had, must be an insane uptake. Would love one if I had a tank big enough. Though I hear its basically impossible to get gigas anymore. Though there is actually a very large one on EBAY right now...

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love clams and would really like to own a large one but this one is on a different level! I believe this one sold a few years back so I'm sure it's much bigger now!

IMG_5561_zps8c376013.jpg

IMG_5557_zps3ee3f243.jpg

IMG_5551_zps84a0bb4f.jpg

images via @ddiver

Gorgeous, thanks for sharing

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

IMG_5561_zps8c376013.jpg

IMG_5557_zps3ee3f243.jpg

IMG_5551_zps84a0bb4f.jpg

images via @ddiver
Beautiful but i'd stick to any smaller species :) and even then would not like anything bad to happen to it ugh the pressure! LOL ;Drool

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would love one, especially a gigas! Great lighting (halides ;Hilarious), stable chemistry, a good dosing regimen and give it space to grow!
You're gonna need a bigger tank :)

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one 15 years ago that I was just able to get out of a 180 before it got to big. Ended up putting it in a 400 gallon tank at a hotel. It just did fit between the braces. I'd say at least 20inches at it's smallest point.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the story about John Coppolino's gigas of this stature on the other reef site (1300 gallon SPS monster), and what happened (it spawned), I think the answer is "not just "no", but "heck no!". They're awesome in the ocean or in a large public aquarium facility, but the possibility of a spawn killing everything in the tank would definitely keep my up at night....

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot for the life of me remember who here or maybe on another forum has a similar if not older and larger clam. As with this it is the center piece of the display and as force tank upgrades over the years for that very reason.

Every time I consider a clam I go back to his thread to remind me they are a long term commitment more so than fish or other corals. You need to have a back up plan and instructions in place in case something happens so it is properly taken care of if such an event requires. Of course I understand not all clams get like this but it does make you go hmm....

@Troy V I believe is the man your after;)

Watching his builds has definately given me pause over getting one in the future as Well, I would love one for my DT but it's not going to get upgraded any time soon once it's set up so I'd need a clam that stayed about half that size lol

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back