spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like--

3,4 and 5........all beautiful bright setups

If heat is an issue I'd go option 5. I think you could also save some $ and use 6x39. The LED strips can act as bulbs 7&8.

5 or 6 for me.

I use a 6x39 over a 36x24 and I can easily say that a 8x39+strips would be overkill and borderline too wide. Agree with Ed that 6x39+strips is purrrrfect.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback everyone I really appreciate it :) still "umming and ahhing" but at this stage I'm likely to go with the Radion route as I feel if I don't at least try them and see what they can do for myself then I'll feel regret, I suppose.

There's a lot of in's and outs with LED's. You're gonna think coming from MH you can crank these up -- That'll nuke the tank. You'll thinking turning up the intensity by 10% couldn't possible cause a problem -- wipe the tank, cause an alk spike, burn/kill corals.

The only thing you need to know about LED's is they are VERY strong, and they penetrate water like nothing on the planet. Don't use them like a lighting source they aren't. Very gradual changes, very slowly, very cautiously.

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of in's and outs with LED's. You're gonna think coming from MH you can crank these up -- That'll nuke the tank. You'll thinking turning up the intensity by 10% couldn't possible cause a problem -- wipe the tank, cause an alk spike, burn/kill corals.

The only thing you need to know about LED's is they are VERY strong, and they penetrate water like nothing on the planet. Don't use them like a lighting source they aren't. Very gradual changes, very slowly, very cautiously.
Nup 100% for 10hrs a day to start with!! hahaha

I'll just run with whatever the settings Ecotech recommend for light adjusting and acclimatising as I know they have those settings in there :) I do plan on running them at or near 100% and mounted at about 30-48" at this stage :)

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I might be a little quiet for a while and there might not be much movement with the tank but there's good reason this time!! We are currently circling like vultures on buying our first house :D So stay tuned because if we get the place that we're looking at there's some big things that might come!!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I might be a little quiet for a while and there might not be much movement with the tank but there's good reason this time!! We are currently circling like vultures on buying our first house :D So stay tuned because if we get the place that we're looking at there's some big things that might come!!

8x4x3 -- that sounds like a solid upgrade

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those dimensions. I’m thinking 5-6’x2.5’x20” for myself.
I have short blasted arms so 18-20" high is perfect for me hahaha and I LOVE the depth the extra half a foot adds without adding too much to the overall water volume! Going 4' too is only a 20cm length increase too so it'll be nice and easy for me to upgrade things for it! It would give me 120g to play with and an increase of about 200L in volume not including what I do with the sump

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck and happy hunting for the home.
Thanks heaps man!!

Yeah man! Get it get it! Currently house hunting this way as well!
We're certainly hoping so!! First offer will be going in this weekend :D :D been such a headache to get to this point haha but we're here finally and happy!!

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little late to the convo, but my pick would be all Radions. I have an 8x60 watt ATI unit with 2 reefbrite strips over my 200 gallon sps tank. I'm also running 2 radion g4 Pros over my Red Sea Reefer, also all SPS. If it was in my budget, I'd swap out the ATI/reefbrite combo with 6 radions in a heartbeat. I am very happy with the results I'm getting under Radions.

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little late to the convo, but my pick would be all Radions. I have an 8x60 watt ATI unit with 2 reefbrite strips over my 200 gallon sps tank. I'm also running 2 radion g4 Pros over my Red Sea Reefer, also all SPS. If it was in my budget, I'd swap out the ATI/reefbrite combo with 6 radions in a heartbeat. I am very happy with the results I'm getting under Radions.
haha thanks for stopping by Conor!! I appreciate the feedback man and good to hear what you think. Good that you have two tanks to make the direct comparison :) What are your thoughts about coverage and shading :D

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha thanks for stopping by Conor!! I appreciate the feedback man and good to hear what you think. Good that you have two tanks to make the direct comparison :) What are your thoughts about coverage and shading :D
Im running 2 XR30s over a 36" Red Sea Reefer and I think the coverage is great and I haven't noticed any shading. They're pulling out some great colors and growth. That being said, my acros in that tank are all small. I've never used radions over my main tank where the acros have grown out, but I'm sure they'll be more than fine. I'm actually really looking forward to the day I can switch over to them 100%. I love my ATI unit, but I think for me it's time to go all LED.

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is was I was thinking really haha
20190702_112418.jpg

20190702_112412.jpg
You are such a copy cat!!;Cat:D
(Mine is the poor man's version hahaha)
20190225_194349.jpg

20190302_132424.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back