Wrasse breathing fast

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the most common flukes you will see what looks like sesame seeds on the bottom.
not the op but would hyposalinity been an OK move for the fish and maybe treat with prazipro at the same time since fish disease is unknown? Or would the acclimation and treatment be too stressful? Just trying to brainstorm..

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not the op but would hyposalinity been an OK move for the fish and maybe treat with prazipro at the same time since fish disease is unknown? Or would the acclimation and treatment be too stressful? Just trying to brainstorm..
I’m not sure I would do hypo. We still don’t know exactly what it is, and copper covers more than hypo would.
Based on the last video, it may be too late.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I would do hypo. We still don’t know exactly what it is, and copper covers more than hypo would.
Based on the last video, it may be too late.
Well hoping he pulls through. If this was velvet is there any way to confirm for the sake of the other fish? I feel like it would be odd for the wrasse to come down with velvet before other possibly more sensitive fish..

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hoping he pulls through. If this was velvet is there any way to confirm for the sake of the other fish? I feel like it would be odd for the wrasse to come down with velvet before other possibly more sensitive fish..
Velvet will hit whichever fish brought it in first. Hard to say for sure without those white spots, but a lot of the primary symptoms are indicative of velvet as well. It wouldn’t hurt to prophylactically treat all other fish for any possible illness.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Velvet will hit whichever fish brought it in first. Hard to say for sure without those white spots, but a lot of the primary symptoms are indicative of velvet as well. It wouldn’t hurt to prophylactically treat all other fish for any possible illness.
My copperband isn’t eating now. Could be from the prazi I dosed yesterday surprising appetite. This freaking sucks tho. No white spots on the wrasse. He looks like he’s almost dead tho. I have copper at 1.7 and redosed prazi pro to Qt tank.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m really hoping it’s not velvet. I guess the other fish would die pretty fast too if it was ? Days should tell.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really hoping it’s not velvet. I guess the other fish would die pretty fast too if it was ? Days should tell.

Can you get a respiration rate on the copperband? Anything above about 140 gill beats per minute could be velvet. Pulling copper if that is the case could be an issue.

Jay

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you get a respiration rate on the copperband? Anything above about 140 gill beats per minute could be velvet. Pulling copper if that is the case could be an issue.

Jay
It’s about 80 bpm on the copperband. He just isn’t eating and hiding behind the rocks a little. Doesn’t have rapid breathing. Could be from prazi I’m hoping.
what do you mean pulling copper would be an issue ?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
I’m not sure what to do Jay. Any suggestions ? Do I need to let the tank go fallow ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what to do Jay. Any suggestions ? Do I need to let the tank go fallow ?

80 bpm does NOT line up with velvet. I would continue with the idea of treating with prazi. However, any time there has been an unknown, uncontrolled disease outbreak in an tank, it is always best to let the tank go fallow for 6 weeks, just to let things calm down before adding new fish, and those should be fully quarantined.

Jay

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
80 bpm does NOT line up with velvet. I would continue with the idea of treating with prazi. However, any time there has been an unknown, uncontrolled disease outbreak in an tank, it is always best to let the tank go fallow for 6 weeks, just to let things calm down before adding new fish, and those should be fully quarantined.

Jay
Sounds good. I went and purchased a bigger qt. Lesson learned I will never not qt this is such a head ache. The wrasse is still alive I’m surprised.

guppyken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I went and purchased a bigger qt. Lesson learned I will never not qt this is such a head ache. The wrasse is still alive I’m surprised.
How is the wrasse doing? Did it recover?
I have a fairy wrasse doing the exact same thing. Have done Prazi, antibiotics and freshwater dip. Did a full water change and it was very pale laying on its side yesterday. Today it's upright and its color came back up, but is still breathing very fast sitting on the bottom resting. Antibiotics is still in. Will give it a bit more time to see if I have to do copper. He was fed well and fat so I am not worried about him not eating at the moment.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is the wrasse doing? Did it recover?
I have a fairy wrasse doing the exact same thing. Have done Prazi, antibiotics and freshwater dip. Did a full water change and it was very pale laying on its side yesterday. Today it's upright and its color came back up, but is still breathing very fast sitting on the bottom resting. Antibiotics is still in. Will give it a bit more time to see if I have to do copper. He was fed well and fat so I am not worried about him not eating at the moment.
The wrasse died a day after I last posted in this thread. Did not last long once he started on his side. I tried prazi only and a freshwater dip but I did not notice any flukes. I’m now trying another wrasse in Qt this time from the start.

guppyken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse died a day after I last posted in this thread. Did not last long once he started on his side. I tried prazi only and a freshwater dip but I did not notice any flukes. I’m now trying another wrasse in Qt this time from the start.
Same here. The little guy didn't make it through today before I have a chance to does copper. I suspect it is velvet due to the fact that the wrasse was healthy and eating like a pig. Flukes doesn't kill fish that quick. Fairy wrasse has thick slime coat so it may delay the killing but the gill is very vulnerable and actually the first organ velvet attacks. And it's known that in some cases we may not see any white spots before it's so far gone.
I had kept two fairy wrasses for quite long time but equipment failure took their lives. Just unfortunate.
Anyway, good luck on your next try.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same here. The little guy didn't make it through today before I have a chance to does copper. I suspect it is velvet due to the fact that the wrasse was healthy and eating like a pig. Flukes doesn't kill fish that quick. Fairy wrasse has thick slime coat so it may delay the killing but the gill is very vulnerable and actually the first organ velvet attacks. And it's known that in some cases we may not see any white spots before it's so far gone.
I had kept two fairy wrasses for quite long time but equipment failure took their lives. Just unfortunate.
Anyway, good luck on your next try.
I was worried it was velvet too but my other two fish in the tank did not show any signs of being sick. I have a copperband and fire fish that were with the wrasse and they are just fine still. I suppose those two could be immune to velvet but I hope not because that means when I add new fish they will get it. I wonder if some fish just don’t make it. I think my second wrasse that died (the one after this) got spooked and ran into the glass too hard. I witnessed it and next Morning dead in Qt. Sorry about your fish I just want one dang wrasse too lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back