Wrasse commented suicide, but not how you think.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is a sad day...
My Naoko wrasse died today. I bought this Fairy Wrasse with trepidation because of A) Known Jumpers, B) The risk vs. expense. But it was a beautiful fish and I was wanting a wrasse and this seemed to fit my needs. I have had him for a bit over a month as of today. He got along with all his tank mates and colored up nicely since I got him. There was many a time where he would pick the weirdest of places to sleep and turn almost monochromatic that I thought he was dead. Wedging himself in a mass of hammers and sleeping was quite odd to me. But he was one of my favorites.

We named him "French Fry"

Today, after the lunchtime feeding, I can only assume that the pumps turning back on freaked him out and he dove straight into a MP40's business end doing 900 rpm. I am at a loss, in many ways, but understanding this, is difficult. The MP40 is not something new to him. The pumps go on and off at least three times a day. The anemone guard I installed did not help since he went into the front.
One minute he was there, the next...

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. My fang blenny went inside my mp40 while it was off during a water change. When I turned the system on he stuck his head right out of the middle. I have no idea why the impeller didn't get him. He just casually swam out like no big deal.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. My fang blenny went inside my mp40 while it was off during a water change. When I turned the system on he stuck his head right out of the middle. I have no idea why the impeller didn't get him. He just casually swam out like no big deal.
Gotta be a blenny thing...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh dang! Sorry for your loss. That really sucks. Definitely an unusual way to go for these guys

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Most certainly not what I expected when I opened the thread. That stinks, that's one of my favorite wrasse. Sorry for your loss.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is a sad day...
My Naoko wrasse died today. I bought this Fairy Wrasse with trepidation because of A) Known Jumpers, B) The risk vs. expense. But it was a beautiful fish and I was wanting a wrasse and this seemed to fit my needs. I have had him for a bit over a month as of today. He got along with all his tank mates and colored up nicely since I got him. There was many a time where he would pick the weirdest of places to sleep and turn almost monochromatic that I thought he was dead. Wedging himself in a mass of hammers and sleeping was quite odd to me. But he was one of my favorites.

We named him "French Fry"

Today, after the lunchtime feeding, I can only assume that the pumps turning back on freaked him out and he dove straight into a MP40's business end doing 900 rpm. I am at a loss, in many ways, but understanding this, is difficult. The MP40 is not something new to him. The pumps go on and off at least three times a day. The anemone guard I installed did not help since he went into the front.
One minute he was there, the next...
Sorry to hear about that! Not something you hear every day when it comes to a fish dying.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20220712_213626.jpg
    20220712_213626.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most certainly not what I expected when I opened the thread. That stinks, that's one of my favorite wrasse. Sorry for your loss.
Thank You,
It's funny that I was so careful to make sure the top screen was on so he wouldn’t jump and even got one of those screen feeding portals.
Still reeling a bit, trying to think how I could have prevented it. I know it is not the type of thing that one could anticipate, but still...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back