Wrasse compatability

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We currently have a 125 with the only wrasse being a Melanaurus.

Didn't even think until my wife said something, but I ordered the following today:

Yellow Coris (small)
Lubbocks Fairy
Pintail Fairy

We had a Lubbocks and a McCoskers flasher before with the Mel. Will the Yellow Coris be okay? She was concerned since they're from the same family. Thanks!

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We currently have a 125 with the only wrasse being a Melanaurus.

Didn't even think until my wife said something, but I ordered the following today:

Yellow Coris (small)
Lubbocks Fairy
Pintail Fairy

We had a Lubbocks and a McCoskers flasher before with the Mel. Will the Yellow Coris be okay? She was concerned since they're from the same family. Thanks!
Should be good. Lubbock's and pintails are very fun

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Mel is completely fine with the yellow corris, but is going crazy when it sees the pintail or Lubbocks fairies. We had both of these with the Mel before so it's kinda shocking to see it being so aggressive. Hopefully it's just showing them it's boss.

The yellow stays out in the front with the 2 fairy wrasses hiding until the Mel passes

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an informative resource from the “Wrasse Lovers Thread”.

B89ADEC7-642B-4C87-9692-63EDA11C4321.png

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Mel is completely fine with the yellow corris, but is going crazy when it sees the pintail or Lubbocks fairies. We had both of these with the Mel before so it's kinda shocking to see it being so aggressive. Hopefully it's just showing them it's boss.

The yellow stays out in the front with the 2 fairy wrasses hiding until the Mel passes
This is probably because the yellow wrasse is still female so it's not a threat to the Mel's territory. The fairy wrasses are males so the Mel is making sure they know he's the "boss". Hopefully he looses interest in them soon.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like I'm gonna have to banish the Mel to the qt tank for a while or find an acclimation box. Lubbocks just popped out and the Mel immediately went after it

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like I'm gonna have to banish the Mel to the qt tank for a while or find an acclimation box. Lubbocks just popped out and the Mel immediately went after it
I didn’t read all reply’s. I saw salty posted so everything should be set before her message. Trust her!
Also good plan removing Mel if you have suspicion. They can be nasty and only wrasse but a six line I will not try. I had two Mel’s that turned to killers one day. Let others settle then try to reintroduce but my guess is Mel will always be a problem

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t read all reply’s. I saw salty posted so everything should be set before her message. Trust her!
Also good plan removing Mel if you have suspicion. They can be nasty and only wrasse but a six line I will not try. I had two Mel’s that turned to killers one day. Let others settle then try to reintroduce but my guess is Mel will always be a problem
I absolutely hate this fish compatability and trial and error thing. Lose one fish you love for others, and vice versa lol

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate this fish compatability and trial and error thing. Lose one fish you love for others, and vice versa lol
Many ways to improve your chances. The fairy chart can go wrong if followed and every rule can be broken. Starts with some fish are cool and some not like people. From there this can help.
Young wrasse 2-3” max and all females! Young ship acclimate adjust to new tank and take bullying better. Also females tend to get a long better. They will transition over time and as that happens better chance of them getting along but males and more mature more pushy they get so it still can go wrong. Also when wrasse get established they don’t want new ones. Adding quick and groups is the best way. Tank size and natural areas they sleep in when in ocean helps with multiply feeding. Wrasse get grumpy when they want food! A few wrasse in a tank can be harder the a bigger group. They can all spread out aggression.

Big part that helped me was acclimation box and a holding tank. Holding tank salinitymatches ship water or lfs water. Wrasse don’t do good with salinty change. They can go down but not up. I wrasse .001 - .002 in 24 hours at most. Also let them sit in a tank to get eating settle builds health and they will adjust better to your display. Using an acclimation box alows new fish to look at your tank and fish to have a plan where to go to hide and who to watch out for. Fish in your tank can learn who the new guy is. It’s all wins. I don’t like acclimation boxes with clear bottoms. It messes with many wrasse specially sand sleepers.

Don’t give up! Look at wrasse lover thread and pick wrasse and give tank size. Many wrasse people there to answer questions and help. You. Best to have a plan before ordering fish.

Also I use my hand to remove from back and moving fish. When I release them I open my hand a little bit. Some fish take off others hangout in my hand for awhile. They scan the tank looking before leaving. My hand is their safe spot because new tanks are that stressful for some

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gonna be nearly impossible to catch this wrasse when it either hides or burrows immediately.

The Lubbocks keeps coming out to eat and as soon as the Mel sees it, it's on. Gonna try to get an acclimation box and try to catch the Lubbocks or the Mel, but this one is gonna be tough. I was hoping they'd mellow out, but not looking good so far. The Lubbocks is SUCH a gorgeous wrasse too. Just makes me mad. Get along! Lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back