Wrasse Feeding: Favorite foods & feeding frequency for active wrasse?

How many daily feedings do your WRASSE get?

Votes: 75 31.9%
  • 2-3

Votes: 112 47.7%
  • 3-5

Votes: 36 15.3%
  • 5+

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Along with being very beautiful, wrasse fish are some of the most active fish in the hobby. They are always swimming, looking, pecking, and searching for their next yummy pod snack to fill their little tummy! Being very busy means that they need the proper nutrition at the proper intervals to stay healthy and live long lives. Multiple daily feedings are encouraged to help keep them satisfied and keep them on the go!

What's your favorite fish food for your wrasse fish?

How often are you feeding your wrasse?

image via @soccerbag
IMG_7450-1.jpg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lrs, mysis, Brine shrimp, fish eggs, fresh clam nori and occasional pellets. Wrasse are very food driven and big eaters. I feed 3 times but at night because of work. When adding new comers or for aggression I’ll use an auto feeder to help

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a fat happy wrasse! I have two auto feeders that feed twice each - one with Ocean Nutrition Formula Two flakes and one with Ocean Nutrition Formula One pellets. I also throw in some pods frequently, feed frozen brine and frozen mysids once every week or two, and use Reef Jerky 3-8 times a month - I know, it's sporadic.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How active are we talking?
Hyperactive like Stethojulis and Pseudocoris or less active like Halichoeres and Cirrhilabrus?

I only feed my tanks once a day but absolutely load them with food, I find my wrasses are finding left overs the next day. What I feed is a mix of food, every few months I rotate when I run out of some of the food. Currently I feed;
- Mixed pellets (Basically every nutritional pellet/flake I can find)
- Chopped Muscle
- Chopped Cockle
- Mysis
- Brine
- Artemia w/ Garlic
- Marine cuisine

And ontop of that I feed Algae every 2-3 days (Thursday & Monday).
I feed this because I have the less active wrasses (Although they can still be active) however these guys aren’t as active as Stethojulis and Pseudocoris species can be. Instead the genera I own are;
- Pseudpcheilinops
- Macropharyngodon
- Paracheilinus
- Cirrhilabrus
- Halichoeres

I do plan on bumping it up to two feedings in 2023 however for now I feed 1 time every day. I will say I keep ontop of all my live foods such as copepods and amphipods so I know they can continue feeding constantly through the day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

LRS fish frenzy and Herbivore diet

3-4 feeding - One frozen and rest via AFS feeder

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment with a few juveniles its several times per day though that will surely fall. (perks of being very bored while working from home)

Food:
  • Mysis - 5-10x
  • PE Calanus (though not for much longer with its price) - 5-10x
  • Algae - 2x
  • Chopped squid and salmon - every other day
  • Live ghost shrimp - monthly
They also enjoy fish fry so definitely not a fish for a fish breeding tank.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I got my cbb fish about 14 months ago I feed my tank at least twice a day but if home I try feed 3-4 times a day so all fish get fed also ovbiously,I finely chop clams mainly but sometimes oysters or scallops/muscles and the like, and use tweezers to feed cbb and the other fish get bits that float around,if none floating my silver belly wrasse and 2 clowns rip food from tweezers also,plus occasionally may put few pellets in which all fish except cbb eats,also oceans nutrition green algae sheets ( nori) once or twice a week on a clip and very rarely algae flakes

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dragon wrasse, a few months back, had a bristle sticking in the side of his mouth. So, I suspect he eats multiple times a day without me feeding, mainly on bristle worms. . . That said, I feed a sheet of nori once per day (which the dragon wrasse will occasionally eat a piece of if it's in the water column), and then once per day I feed frozen food. Which he fights my creole anthia for. (they try to take chunks of frozen food out of each others mouths. It's mildly entertaining to watch...)

My wrasse is fat and happy with a once a day meaty frozen food feeding.

Citrus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed daily very heavy mysis krill and clams finely shopped. I feed pellets and nori daily in the morning

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT currently has 14 fish, 7 of which are wrasse. I feed 5-7 times per day. Three daily pellet auto-feedings (TDO Chroma Boost, Seaweed Extreme, Black Worm pellet mix). Nori added daily and I feed a heavy frozen meal (alternate LRS Reef Frenzy with Herbivore Frenzy, with extra PE mysis & Hikari mysis added in) each evening (sometimes a 2nd frozen feeding on weekends). Live baby brine shrimp are fed most every day & live black worms occasionally. Resultantly, my fish definitely are on the "thick" side!

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually feed (5) times per day. Occasionally one more or less. Breakfast (mysis) is about 8:30am when all my leopards are up. Rest of the day is is a combination of mysis, fish eggs, krill, bloodworms and cyclops. ReefNutrition Tigger pods are fed at least (3) times per week and a couple days they get seaweed. Not all of my wrasses are fond of that! Phyto is dosed after the last feeding.
bsa

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Melanurus Wrasse. He eats everything. He gets Clams, Gut Loaded Brine, & Mysis. He also picks at the Cyclops I feed for the Anthias, Dartfish, and Cardinals. He even eats the Nori I put in for the Tang!
Mostly once a day. Two or three times if I'm home all day. There are a boat load of Pods and such in the tank & he's always on the hunt. Judging by the empty shells, I think he also munches an occasional snail. He's a pig.

Acrocrazy725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with being very beautiful, wrasse fish are some of the most active fish in the hobby. They are always swimming, looking, pecking, and searching for their next yummy pod snack to fill their little tummy! Being very busy means that they need the proper nutrition at the proper intervals to stay healthy and live long lives. Multiple daily feedings are encouraged to help keep them satisfied and keep them on the go!

image via @soccerbag
IMG_7450-1.jpg
My wrasse eat 3-5 times a day. I have a good copepod population. I add around 4 -6 containers (algae barn) a month. Have been doing that for a while. Also pods from lfs and the pods from reef nutrition which seem to be bigger and I can actually watch fish eat. I think that is more important then anything else for wrasses long term success. Especially for leopards and mandarins. Although there are way more experienced people that know more then me, this has worked for me.
My auto feeder goes off three times a days with pellets mostly for all my anthesis. However everyone eats them. Then I do frozen; fish eggs, rods reef,
clams on the half shell and mysis shrimp. Instead of one big dump of that I’ll do 2 smaller feeding half and half. What I used to put into one feeding I do two. It seems to be better. My nitrates are around 20-30 my phosphate .1- .15 . My acros seem to love higher levels. In truth I would feel better with my phosphates under.1.

my bird wrasse loves the clams on the half shell. He also steals my zebra eels shrimp. And swims around with it in his mouth like a prize.lol.
I have to feed eel at night now.
My leopards pick all day at rocks so I would have to say copepods and what ever else they are picking off rocks is there favorite, they do eat mysis aggressively and will pick out favorite pieces from mix i through in.
Cleaner wrasse picks parasites off fish and eats everything else. He is My oldest wrasse in new tank he is 3 1/2 years old.
yellow coris he picks at rocks and is a little bit of a picky eater. Picking the choice pieces he likes from mix i through in.
All of my wrasse will nibble on nori as well.
all have there own personalities.

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow coris wrasse loves the spirulina brine shrimp. Usually he will not eat anything else if that is offered, but if it's not offered, he will eat mysis shrimp or high quality flake.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back