Wrasse recommendations

Viracon13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to add another wrasse to my 75 gallon cube. I currently have a Naoko fairy wrasse and a blue ornate wrasse. The Naoko will chase the leopard for a couple seconds every now and again but they generally stay out of each other's way. Looking for recommendations on another wrasse that will live well with these two. Reef safe preferable as well since I have shrimp and snails. Thanks!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An establish naoko in that size of tank will probably not tolerate any new Cirrhilabrus or Paracheilinus wrasses. The best choice for you is probably a female of a different species of Marcopharyngodon.

Some Halichoeres species are also an option, but nearly all of them pose some risk to your inverts.

maggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Hunter!! This is my first post at R2R!!! LOL. In fact I am not sure that I am even doing this correctly!! I just watched your video from MACNA and thought it was great!! I have a Naoko fairy wrasse as well. It is in my 125 gallon, 5 foot tank. It has been in my tank for about 3 & 1/2 years. Also in with him, for well over 2 & 1/2 years are a White Banded Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella albofasciata), Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus) and a pink coris wrasse, not sure exactly the other name. I had a Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) in with the Naoko wrasse and they did fine for months, then one day the Naoko turned on it and killed it with in the afternoon. Would you have any suggestions on what other wrasses I could put in? or stop while I am ahead!! LOL. Any suggestions from others out there in R2R would be great!!
@evolved

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Hunter!! This is my first post at R2R!!! LOL. In fact I am not sure that I am even doing this correctly!! I just watched your video from MACNA and thought it was great!! I have a Naoko fairy wrasse as well. It is in my 125 gallon, 5 foot tank. It has been in my tank for about 3 & 1/2 years. Also in with him, for well over 2 & 1/2 years are a White Banded Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella albofasciata), Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus) and a pink coris wrasse, not sure exactly the other name. I had a Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) in with the Naoko wrasse and they did fine for months, then one day the Naoko turned on it and killed it with in the afternoon. Would you have any suggestions on what other wrasses I could put in? or stop while I am ahead!! LOL. Any suggestions from others out there in R2R would be great!!
@evolved
If the naokoae went after a melanurus, then you will be hard pressed to get another reef safe wrasse species in there. Aggression rarely gets better, instead it usually gets worse.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved
Welcome, and thank you!
If the naokoae went after a melanurus, then you will be hard pressed to get another reef safe wrasse species in there. Aggression rarely gets better, instead it usually gets worse.
I'm afraid I agree.

AcroCrush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this topic, I am looking for a wrasse (likely a flasher, pygmy, or fairy wrasse). Am I correct in thinking those type are the best fit for my reef tank with the following; blue tang, blue eye tang, yellow tang, (4) pajama cardinals, dwarf hawk fish, pencil urchin, banded coral shrimp, harlequin shrimp, (7) snails. This is all in a 125 g (6' long) tank with many hiding places and corals growing everywhere. Sometimes I can not find my blue tang (little bigger than hand size) when sleeping in some crevasse in the rock.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this topic, I am looking for a wrasse (likely a flasher, pygmy, or fairy wrasse). Am I correct in thinking those type are the best fit for my reef tank with the following; blue tang, blue eye tang, yellow tang, (4) pajama cardinals, dwarf hawk fish, pencil urchin, banded coral shrimp, harlequin shrimp, (7) snails. This is all in a 125 g (6' long) tank with many hiding places and corals growing everywhere. Sometimes I can not find my blue tang (little bigger than hand size) when sleeping in some crevasse in the rock.
I think those are good choices

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...re-and-well-help.200605/page-171#post-5324893

I'd post it in there if I were you, the fish experts will probably find it easier

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back