Wrasses in a Reefer 250

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Am I maxed out on wrasses for my Reefer 250? In a perfect world, I would prefer a peaceful tank with an additional open water swimmer. If I could add more than 1 fish, that'd be great.

If possible, I want to add another wrasse to the system and would appreciate any suggestions that might be compatible with my current stock list below.

1 Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
1 Tricolor Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
1 Melanarus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) - I am not opposed to replacing this fish for a different wrasse.

1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Pistol Shrimp
3 Porcelain Crabs

This is for a 3' long, 66 gallon display.

Because I'd prefer an open water swimmer, the only other fish I could think might work well for me is a Chromis.

Thank you in advance for feedback provided. :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I maxed out on wrasses for my Reefer 250? In a perfect world, I would prefer a peaceful tank with an additional open water swimmer. If I could add more than 1 fish, that'd be great.

If possible, I want to add another wrasse to the system and would appreciate any suggestions that might be compatible with my current stock list below.

1 Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
1 Tricolor Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
1 Melanarus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) - I am not opposed to replacing this fish for a different wrasse.

1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Pistol Shrimp
3 Porcelain Crabs

This is for a 3' long, 66 gallon display.

Because I'd prefer an open water swimmer, the only other fish I could think might work well for me is a Chromis.

Thank you in advance for feedback provided. :)
In a 3’x2’x2’ tank (rounded up) you’ll be able to have a Chrysus and one other wrasse I’d say. Maybe 3 at a push however a Mel and Lubbocki is a bad move for a 3’ tank.
I’d go for a gang that was something like this;
Pintail Fairy Wrasse (C. isosceles)
Silver Belly Wrasse (H. leucoxanthus)
Black Leopard Wrasse (M. negrosensis)

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In a 3’x2’x2’ tank (rounded up) you’ll be able to have a Chrysus and one other wrasse I’d say. Maybe 3 at a push however a Mel and Lubbocki is a bad move for a 3’ tank.
I’d go for a gang that was something like this;
I want to make sure I understand: I should rehome both the Melanarus and Tricolor Lubbucks because they'll get too big.

Then, I could keep my Yellow Corris Wrasse and add one of the following:

Is that correct?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make sure I understand: I should rehome both the Melanarus and Tricolor Lubbucks because they'll get too big.

Then, I could keep my Yellow Corris Wrasse and add one of the following:

Is that correct?
You could add 2 of the following except the Silver Belly, replace that option with Halichoeres iridis - Radiant Wrasse.
But yeah I’d personally rehome the Mel and Lubbocki as they will become rather large and active.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I wouldn’t push more than 3 wrasses in a 66 gallon 3’ long tank. A 4th will start bumping shoulders with the established 3 & that can get ugly quick. Personally, the melanurus is more efficient at the job than the coris so I would lean towards keeping the melanurus but that’s only a recommendation, your call. Good luck

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike @i cant think, I think Lubbocki should do fine in your tank. I also think likely that a Melanurus is a poor choice. Iridis is outstanding, but leucoxanthus is great too.
Pintail Fairy is timid to the extreme. While he has exceptional potential, I did not like him in my tank because of the wasted potential. He always in hiding, and never show his colors.
Black Leopard should be great in your tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back