Wrasses?? Lets talk about Wrasses!!!

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am currently debating on wether or not I can keep these in my tank, I have never tried to keep one and I want to know if I can. I do not have a hood or screen or net covering the top of my tank. Is it really necessary to have one in order to keep the wrasses??? I know some jump but how much of a risk am I taking by not having one?? Also what types of wrasses can I keep?? I have a clam and mixed reef, also just some clowns and a Regal.... some chromis, crabs and snails and 2 azure damsels. Thats it, so start with the suggestions? I am thinking either fairy or flashers.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? Do you have a sandbed or run BB? Some wrasses like to burrow in sand at night. Also, in my experience it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN they will jump.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairies and flashers, you will need a cover that doesn't have holes any larger than 1/4 inch. Period. Or else you are just throwing your money away because they will jump, no doubt about it.
I have many, and learned years ago that it is definate, they will jump.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ahve a 3 in sand bed and it is about 80g tank. Will a canopy work??? I am planning on building one soon, just had to work alot recently.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build mesh top, then buy wrasses ;) One of my favorite (also happens to be one of the cheaper) is the misnamed Yellow Coris wrasse.

Eynonreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I did for a screen cover. I went to the local lawn and garden store and picked up a package of screen that is 3/8". Then I went to Lowes and picked up a screen kit which comes with everything needed to build the frame. Total cost around $15.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok excellent. Will the mesh top interfere with my lighting?? Like with my par values?? Or cast a shadow??

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the clear mesh doesn't interfere with your light. I have it over my tank, and you can't tell its on there when comparing the light before and after.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!! So what types of wrasses should I look into?? i know fairies and flashers, so which ones do you guys think??

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellcent! I will work on this sometime this week, hopefully be finished by this weekend at latest. Now, help me decide on which wrasse to get? Or do they do better in groups?

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!! So what types of wrasses should I look into?? i know fairies and flashers, so which ones do you guys think??

Now that you know you need netting, I think you should pick what you personally like and not what other like ;) Take a look at the flasher and fairy wrasse show-off threads to see what you like. With the size of your tank and the amount of other fish you already have, you may be better with the smaller flasher wrasses. None of the fairys or flashers with bother your clam or any corals, so there are no worries there for you.

Last edited:

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a sheet of "egg crate" and cut the center out to leave a 4 inch strip that would cover the perimeter of my tank. Between this and the light fixure, I haven't lost any jumpers. This leaves the center open for access and light.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks Sara! I will def. do that. Didnt even think to look up the show off threads!

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks Sara! I will def. do that. Didnt even think to look up the show off threads!

Before you fall in love with the attenuatus flasher, there have not been any available on the market for almost coming up on a year now. They are collected off of Kenya and there are just not any available since last year.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the hard to find ones include the Earlei, Johnsoni, Attenuatus, Eight Line Flasher, Bells.

Flames have really come down in price recently, and have been more readily available. Rhomboids have also been on available on many sites, including a few males on LADD. I would also suggest going through the show off thread, you'll see many different ones on there. Also, look on LiveAquaria under Wrasses-Reef Safe, and maybe even BlueZooAquatics, as they have many listed on there as well.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So I should go with a single wrasse versus a herim? Pacific island aquatics had some but they were like pairs and trios with super males....

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your tank size. From what I've seen, these guys appreciate some swimming room, so I wouldn't want to cramp a bunch into a tank that couldn't provide them with room to swim.

I'm in the process or ordering a new tank to provide more swimming room for my new addiction :)

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok its about 80g, so just a single wrasse? for now until I upgrade to a bigger tank!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back