Wrasses?? Lets talk about Wrasses!!!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you NEED a sand bed for something like a potter that sleeps in the sand?

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's their natural environment so I would say yes. I'm sure someone out there does it differently, but why not provide the best you can for your fish? I keep a shallow sandbed (2") for my upcoming potters and my red headed wrasse.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the fairy wrasse showoff thread, but not a flashers thread. So I can pretty much pick what I want in the flashers and fairy catergory? What about a solon fairy? my friend has one, it is nice...

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your next best option would be to put a container of sand in your tank so the fish has an option of using it. A full sandbed is still better though.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooops! Premature send. I have heard males will lose their intense coloration if they are not paired with a female. Is that true?

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the screen. Don't buy the wrasses first because you think you'll get the screen done in no time. By the time I got around to making my screen I lost several of my fish (3 being wrasses) with in the matter of a couple of weeks.
I also recommend sand. My leopard wrasse and potters wrasse don't sleep in the same spot every night, and if you have multiple wrasses I wouldn't use a container and make them sleep together. Try to provide a natural habit for them with a sand bottom of at least 1 1/2" deep if you can.
All wrasses are different in one way or another, so I would study that particular specie you are wanting. Some are finicky eaters, some are poor shippers, some are aggressive, etc... so knowledge is half the battle (lol)...

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooops! Premature send. I have heard males will lose their intense coloration if they are not paired with a female. Is that true?

I think its hit and miss. I had a yellow flasher that stayed as brilliant as the day he came home but I had a labouti that lost all his color. Go figure!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that its more of the blue coloration of wrasses that lose their color if not paired up....thats why I'm getting a female Labouti and Lineatus soon :)

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expect by any means, just something that I've read in a few places. You could keep any as singles, but they may lose some coloration.

For what its worth, my bluejaw trigger has lost some coloration since I've had him, so when I move to a bigger tank, I'm going to get a female and see what happens.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, well hopefully when I get one it wont lose its color. If so may have to get a bigger tank sooner rather than later.....:wink:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back