WTB seahorse and pipefish

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend a place to purchase seahorse or pipefish online? Has anyone had success online with either of these? If so, what places have a good warranty?

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by "good warranty". Usually guaranteeing live delivery is about as good as it gets with seahorses.
When it comes to seahorses though, do NOT purchase just one as they don't do well alone.
Some pipefish can go in reef tanks but seahorses, having specific needs, should have their OWN dedicated tank and it needs a lot of thought when considering tank mates and corals.
If you haven't already done a lot of research into their needs, there are plenty of "stickies" at the top of this forum that will give you an excellent heads up on the hobby.

OP
OP
Gonzo74

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon 24 inch tall Refugium with minimal flow and only snails and conchs in there. It is very highly populated with pods and plenty of places for it to attach to.

pipefish and/or seahorses are all I plan to put in there. I meant guarantee, not warranty. Some places have a week or so, which is why I asked. Maybe it’s best I wait and buy one from LFS?

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, MINIMAL FLOW is NOT good for a seahorse tank so you will have to rectify that.
The copepods you have will for the most part not be of much value as first they are too small and would need copious amounts to be of nutritional value to the seahorses. Amphipods though are of sufficient size to be a great addition to the frozen mysis but seahorses VERY quickly decimate even the most dense populations of pod forms they like.
Now, as this is a refugium I'm assuming it is connected to another system which in itself can add multiple problems to seahorse keeping. In addition to your low flow problem, seahorses best chances of survival would be in water 68° to 74°F that helps minimize the deadly bacterial problems seahorses are most prone too, unlike most other marine fish.
Exposure to other fish in the system MAY also expose the seahorses to pathogens they haven't grown up with and are VERY susceptible to, probably the second biggest cause of problems after nasty bacteria.
30g is the MINIMUM recommended size for ONE pair of seahorses.
Mixing seahorses and pipefish usually can cause losses of one or both species more often than having successes but it does work sometimes, usually better odds with captive bred pipefish though and they are hard to find.
Buying from an LFS is NOT normally as safe as buying from a reputably breeder as most of them are imported from offshore, and, kept in systems that include other fish, with the chances of exposure to new to them pathogens.
If they can tell you their source, and, you are able to research that source as being acceptable by most keepers experiences then that is a help but most LFSs don't like to tell where they buy from and some indeed even lie about it.
As for warranty/guarantee situations, seahorses are unlike any marine fish you have ever bought so you can't expect the same to apply when purchasing them.
FYI, the great majority of LFSs DO NOT KNOW sufficient about keeping seahorses to be advising on their needs and care even though they THINK they do, so be aware of whatever they say, especially if it is contradicted by the long term keepers on the forums for seahorses.

Back